• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

TC .32 Cherokee

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay so I have an opportunity to get a tc .32 from a local gun shop, gun isn’t bad but the barrel is beat! LOTS of pitting. I talked to the owner and he said I could take it home clean it up and shoot it hahah he is a good guy and like I told him even if it doesn’t shoot he will have a clean gun! So here is my question, and I know I haven’t got it yet but I want to get what I need before I get it. With something this bad how would you guys go about it this? Iv cleaned lots of guns and removed some pitting but nothing like this. I normally use the Remington stuff with the little abrasive beads in it and it works good but for this I don’t think it will do the trick. So before I would get it rebored or even make him an offer what would y’all do to remove this pitting? And if I could find a new barrel I would just go that route but I can’t seem to get one.

Thanks!
Luke

Okay so I have an opportunity to get a tc .32 from a local gun shop, gun isn’t bad but the barrel is beat! LOTS of pitting. I talked to the owner and he said I could take it home clean it up and shoot it hahah he is a good guy and like I told him even if it doesn’t shoot he will have a clean gun! So here is my question, and I know I haven’t got it yet but I want to get what I need before I get it. With something this bad how would you guys go about it this? Iv cleaned lots of guns and removed some pitting but nothing like this. I normally use the Remington stuff with the little abrasive beads in it and it works good but for this I don’t think it will do the trick. So before I would get it rebored or even make him an offer what would y’all do to remove this pitting? And if I could find a new barrel I would just go that route but I can’t seem to get one.

Thanks!
Luke
I wouldn't purchase a problem like that unless I had equipment to refresh the bore and rifling. U asked what I would do.
There are too many good rifles out there, so why purchase one you know is bad?
Larry

I wouldn't purchase a problem like that unless I had equipment to refresh the bore and rifling. U asked what I would do.
There are too many good rifles out there, so why purchase one you know is bad?
Larry
No I agree! I’m going to shoot it and see how it goes, I like to tinker and since I can mess with it some before I would have to buy it I just wanted to see how some of you would go about it! If it’s not going to shoot I probably won’t buy it unless he would want like $150 for it and at that I’ll have mr Hoyt fix it up

No I agree! I’m going to shoot it and see how it goes, I like to tinker and since I can mess with it some before I would have to buy it I just wanted to see how some of you would go about it! If it’s not going to shoot I probably won’t buy it unless he would want like $150 for it and at that I’ll have mr Hoyt fix it up
🤙
Larry

Well I would shoot it as you said and see how it does. The lock, Triggers, Tang, and stock have very good value if you get it at the right price. I would probably have it rebored to 36 if it did not shoot well. I have a Cherokee with a new barrel that I have never shot and they bring premium price which drives up the parts market. I have used scotch brite pads to remove light rust but heavy pitting is nearly impossible to remove.

The bore at 32 caliber is getting a bit small for most of the usual rust removing methods, such as the fragment of a copper Chore Boy pad or a Scotch Brite pad. The JB bore paste and the careful application of Evaporust or the mix of water and unsulphurated mollassas to remove the rust. This will remove the bluing so be careful when using rust removing solutions.

The bore at 32 caliber is getting a bit small for most of the usual rust removing methods, such as the fragment of a copper Chore Boy pad or a Scotch Brite pad. The JB bore paste and the careful application of Evaporust or the mix of water and unsulphurated mollassas to remove the rust. This will remove the bluing so be careful when using rust removing solutions.
Thank you for the info! And you are right the .32 is tough to clean just bc if it’s size. That’s one reason I like my .72 smoothie easy clean up! I’ll have to see how it goes and like Larry said I should probably avoid a problem but for some reason I like these little guns and want this one to work hahah

If everything else is in good order it’s probably worth $200+ even without a barrel. You can find a replacement barrel on eBay if you’re patient, either .45 or .32, but it won be cheap. Used ones are pretty common and new ones in boxes occasionally.

if the bore is toast I would get it for as cheap as possible and send the barrel to bob hoyt to be rebored. He does excellent work. I would have it bored out to 34 cal so it could shoot 00 buckshot. if it shoots ok then buy it for whatever price you feel is fair.

if the bore is toast I would get it for as cheap as possible and send the barrel to bob hoyt to be rebored. He does excellent work. I would have it bored out to 34 cal so it could shoot 00 buckshot. if it shoots ok then buy it for whatever price you feel is fair.
I agree if I can get it cheap I like the idea of having it to a 34 way more versatile and I can still shoot 32 with a thick patch!

If you go that route Bobby can do what's needed. I've had him bore out a .40 barrel to .45 and his work was nothing less than amazing.

What is the ratio of water to mollsssas?

T.C. did not cut the rifling in their barrels. They "button" formed them . Meaning they force a "button" through the barrel which compressed the steel rather than cut the steel. This leaves a very hard rifling. I once bought a Cherokee I new had a badly pitted barrel, thinking I could refresh the bore like I have done on many Italian and Spainish barrels. I broke three cutters before I gave up and relined the barrel.

Now that’s interesting! So really the only real thing I can do is clean it hahah and if that doesn’t work get it bored out and put a sleeve in it for sure to keep the caliber. Now today we will go pick it up and see what I can do. Next step would be to make an offer bc as is the gun isn’t worth the $550 he is asking

What is the ratio of water to mollsssas?
While the methods mentioned above will work to some extent, there is a much easier and more effective way.

Degrease your rifles bore thoroughly. Remove the barrel, plug the nipple tightly with a toothpick and stand it in a corner. Go to your local grocery store and by a jar of plain old molasses. Dilute it with water, about 7 parts water to 1 part molasses, mix well.

Pour the diluted molasses into the barrel and let it stand a day or 2. Pour it out (but save it). Rinse, dry and inspect the bore. If rust is still present, pour the solution back in and let it sit for another day or so. Continue until all the rust is gone. When done, rinse well, dry and oil right away.

You think I'm pulling your leg?? Try putting a rusty bolt or scrap steel into a bowl with the solution and see for yourself.

Molasses is an excellent rust remover. Diluting it slows the process and makes it more controllable. It gets into every nook and cranny, unlike steel wool or brushes. It is cheap, non-hazardous and reusable.

Good luck.

No way $550.00 I have a Beautiful 32 Cherokee that in my mind would be worth $700.00 tops an it is nearly pristine.
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking too, and I was wrong it was $595 hahah well I’m going to clean it up and shot it but I know it isn’t worth what he wants, I might make him an offer of around $300 so we will see how it goes

Back