Tarp/Cover for Trekking

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Going to test drive some gear to start moving toward my first longer trekking with period equipment.

What is the bare minimum (period correct) type shelter? What were they using for groundcloth (if any) and for cover?

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
Crazy crow sells a spanish red tarp as above. And good waterproof tarps are sold by Townsends and panther primitive. PP also sells a half shelter with built in ground cloth and Ed cover. And Turkey foot traders sells hemp canvas.
A painters tarp works for me, with hemp webbing sewed on the corners.

Armando

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Crazy crow sells a spanish red tarp as above. And good waterproof tarps are sold by Townsends and panther primitive. PP also sells a half shelter with built in ground cloth and Ed cover. And Turkey foot traders sells hemp canvas.
A painters tarp works for me, with hemp webbing sewed on the corners.
If I buy the Crazy Crow red tarp, it looks like they sell by the yard. How many yards do you usually need to make a diamond shelter?

tenngun

Cannon
Reaction score
If I buy the Crazy Crow red tarp, it looks like they sell by the yard. How many yards do you usually need to make a diamond shelter?
I’m thinking it’s 60”wide, six yards in that case would give you about 9x10’. If it’s 36” wide 9 yards is 9x9 about.
PP has the Spanish brown color all done.

Realwarrior

Pilgrim
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Armando, if I understand you right, you are stepping "Back in time" with your kids. With 2 qts of boiled linseed oil, 2 qts of mineral spirits, a paint brush and some red oxide (off of the Auction site) ,along with a cheap painters throw cloth and a couple of hours (not including drying time) and you will have made your own. Of course, this time of year, with winter temperatures is the worst time to make one. Even if you buy one, this might be a fun project this summer.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well IF we were doing it "right"....we'd fashion our own shelters out of debris..., and some places one can do this in the fall, and in others year round, but for most of us, we have to "adjust".
So these...
LOPPED TREE DEN.JPG
Lopped Tree Den with Frame.JPG

Became these....
PLOW Points.jpg

Which work great for a single person for a quick shelter, but I like a bit more elaborate. I don't use the painter's tarp with boiled linseed oil, even when that's cut with mineral spirit or turpentine. It's just way too heavy. Besides, although we know they had "oil cloth" in the 18th century, they didn't use it for shelters from what we've found so far.

I like a lean-to.
I like to take two four yard long pieces of 5.3 oz. linen, natural color. The fabric should be nearly 5' wide, each piece.
I wash both pieces in hot water twice, then spin dry on hot, then iron. Closes up the gaps in the weave. I trim off the loose threads, and save them for char.
I sew the two pieces together lengthwise, so I have a square that is 10'x12'. You can use that but I prefer to trim off one foot on either side, and that gives me the cloth to make the loops, and extra cloth for extra projects.
I hem the entire outside, and then attach the loops and include small reinforcing squares. So then I have an 8'x12' tarp.
I paint 4' of the lower portion, which makes a ground cloth. Keeping that early morning moisture off of you will do you great good. You can use boiled linseed oil, but it sometimes rots the fabric over time, so you and can also use a brown, exterior latex paint.
The rest I treat with Thompson's Water Seal. Be careful 'cause Thompson's Water Seal or boiled linseed oil...they will both catch fire from a good enough spark
(Folks it's not an authentic shelter, so might was well make it comfortable while at the same time making it less troublesome to the eye than fluorescent nylon, eh?)

Then I set it up lean-to style....you might run a line between two trees, OR you might need 2 upright poles to support the line. Can it be smaller? Sure, but I found that if it rains hard the rain spatter will pop up under the roof part at the ends so my head and feet get wet, and I like to sleep stretched out...and I'm just under 6' tall, so I get 12" of roof at either end of me.

The nice thing is that in high winds or a sudden squall you, you can deploy this on the ground with no overhead roof, simply crawl in under it and wait out the storm.

TREKKING TARP.jpg
not to scale

LD

Last edited:
Reaction score
My trail tarp or shelter is made from a 10x10 painters tarp bought at lowes one of the better quality they sale, as stated washed twice in very hot water and dried, with 6 in. loops of white canvas webbing 1in.wide sewn and attached spots reinforced with the same type of cloth the loops are placed on each corner and then extra loops are spaced between the corners on all sides, along with a reinforced loop placed in the center of the tarp as to attach it to a outer ridge pole or a lower hanging branch of a tree. It was then thoroughly soaked in the spray type camp dry, took about 6 cans, set up in the yard and completely dried. It can be set as a diamond or lean too with adjustment as to the height when setting it up I can stay very dry in a down poor of rain. It turned out to be not heavy at all as you will find with painting, or linseed oil ones.

Gooba Jones

32 Cal
Reaction score
When I first got into the hobby, me and my wife got a tepe. Darn thing was just to big and hard to transport, that we sold it. Back when I used to do some trekking, I switched to a canvas tarp painted with deck stain. It worked well for what it was.
Gooba Jones

Group Builder