• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Targets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Make a "splatter" type target by covering one side of a piece of brightly colored posterboard with clear package wrapping tape and spray painting the tape with a contrasting color. When hit by a bullet the posterboard color shows through.

Hmmmmm :hmm: Does that work out any cheaper than just buying the ready made targets? I'm sure your plan will work but, after paying for the posterboard, the tape and the paint, it just seems as if you won't be saving any money. Am I wrong? :confused:

I just go to any of the sites online that offer printable targets. There's an amazing array of possibilities among them, so it's easy to vary your targets with the range you're shooting and what works best with a particular set of sights.

Here is one example of such places. I suppose if you wanted something like "shoot-and-see" function you could back them with posterboard as you suggest, but I haven't tried it.

I buy those little orange dots at Office Depot and just use them on newsprint.

Another great target for long range shooting is a sandwich bag of flour taped flat to any cardboard backing. Also small sandwich bags filled with a larger amount of flour will make a safe "exploding" target. :idunno:

The original poster, Baby Huey, was just telling how he makes home made Shoot-N-See targets. No doubt there are many ordinary targets available out there but he was sharing an idea for his version of Shoot-N-See targets. But, I just wonder if they are any cheaper than the store bought versions. :idunno:

A bud tried one promising idea that didn't quite pan out. He had a bunch of the orange stick-on targets (don't recall the brand). Sprayed them with Pledge or some other spray wax and let them dry. Then he hit them with black spray paint. The idea was that the wax would keep the paint from adhering tight, so it would flake away around the hole and make it easier to see, just like the S-n-S.

His problem was that the paint flaked off too easily as he was peeling the targets off the backing. Really unpredictable, and with smaller stickers another problem was that the ball impact blew all the black off the orange background.

He was headed back to the drawing board last time we talked about it, but since I haven't heard more, I'm betting he hasn't found a solution.

Dunno what else he tried, but I'm betting there's a solution out there.

Never been a big fan of shoot-n-see targets. I enjoy the walk to the target.
I do however like reactionary and steel targets. I have more than 50 different ones, so many I can't remember them all.

Back