• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Targets; Opinions wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made a gong out of the bottom of a bbq propane tank, welded two pieces of chain at the 10 and 2 o’clock position and painted the gong white. The gong measures 12 “ in diameter and should ring when hit.

i feel for every one that can't see the sights or the target. and every one that posted that getting the ophthalmologist to do catarac surgery was impossible after 10 years of bitchin about seeing 2 rear sights I finally found a doctor who is a shooter he got me a surgeon to do it 3 years later my latest exam is i can see distance at 20/15 and for the first time in my life don't require glasses for driving!! down side as a precision machinist and welder i must use a strong reader. also I found that by switching to a fiber optic front sight I now can see the sight on any target that is used at any of the competitions I shoot at. I use a HiViz 1/16" red front dot. As far as where to place the cheater on your glasses the easiest way is to take a 1/4" wood dowel and have a friend put it on your sights while your sighting use lipstick on the end of it and have him/her touch the lenses of your glasses now you know where to tape or glue your cheater

Referring to cataract procedure. had it done a year ago, had been wearing glasses since age 45 (now 73) and was up to trifocals. When the Dr asked "what type' vision I wanted , I stated sharp vision distant instead of up close for reading. was it worth it ! Absolutely ! u[ close reading only need 1.5x reading glasses other then that vision is sharp, clear. I can see and read up close, like computer screen with out glasses but they just make it a little easier. anything else greater then arm length or farther is great !

What do you consider to be best target offered for 100 yd range? I have tired old eyes and bifocals and shooting iron open sights to try and comply with NMLRA rules. At 50 yards the green 5 bull rifle targets almost dissappear so that I have to blacken them in. At 100 yrd The black red bull dirty bird targets are a indistinguishable blurr. I am a cheapskate, so before I run-out and willy-nilly buy a bunch of different styles. What are your go to options.
Unless you have some other eye problems (glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc.) you might investigate if you have cataracts.
Cataract surgery has helped me enormously to see better! My vision is much clearer (20-20 or 20-25), and much brighter. In fact right after the surgeries I was practically in awe. Plus I chose the simplest least expensive lenses, single focus chosen for distance. I still wear glasses, and want to to protect my eyes, but the upper part of the lenses has no correction at all and the bottom inside half circle a 2.5 diopter correction for close up, reading etc. I can use open sights now again just fine, though I still prefer aperture peep sights. Medicare covered almost all the cost.
Good luck with it!

Unfortunately, the 100 yard targets at our range tend to be the same one provided by the NMLRA for our monthly shoots. Their official 100 yard single bull is smaller and more challenging to hit. There is a larger target that gives us more latitude. Several years ago our club started adding "best five out of seven" shots to the 100 but that just means we're throwing more lead and powder down there for us older eyes. Ha!

I am 64 but still wee about three rear sights. I use a .75 correction from distance with a “44 bbl.
I use those small shoot n c targets 3” maybe.

Attachments

• 27C4CEA4-25EE-4CF2-9536-9ACF55053A34.jpeg
    27C4CEA4-25EE-4CF2-9536-9ACF55053A34.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
The 6 oclock hold gives you a more accurate point of aim on a black bullseye. I use the 6 oclock hold but I sight the gun in to hit at 6 oclock for hunting.
If you are shooting for score on a black bullseye then adjust the sights to hit the proper height above the point of aim for that target.
It ain't rocket science....

I use archery targets at the 100 yard mark. Work very well because of the size and coloration I glue cardboard to them so the holes are sharp edged.

I have not shot a regulated NMLRA match to be able to really be able to comment on using peeps on my kentucky rifle to state that they would be considered period correct. So for now I think sight correction is the way of the grasshopper for now.
Broke down and spent $5.65 at harbor freight, a little black plastic and a 1/16 bit and ended up with the following. They really cleaned up my sight picture at approx 50 yds. Time will be the tell.

Attachments

• 20230211_120405.jpg
    20230211_120405.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 0
I use paper plates and add a ½” red dot in the approximate centre and add a black sharpie dot in the centre. Don’t use them for food afterwards as they leak.

I have to guess the center at 100 yds. on targets such as this. Now that I have worked up a peep for my glasses this might have changed.

What exactly are the NMLRA guidelines concerning peeps when they are not on a period correct rifle. Seems like there is some ambiguity with who is allowed with what. My local group most certainly don't follow what I have read, having Williams side mounted windage and elevation adjustable sights on their rifles.
I want to spank their butts with my open iron sighted cheap ass CVA

Latest posts

Back