• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Target loads for Zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pargent

62 Cal.
Reaction score
With my club building a new range Iam thinking of dragging out my Zouave and using it in some matches. It has been used mainly for blanks due to its fast barrel 1in33 , but I have read some old posts on target shooting in NZ that say using a solid base projectile can work in fast twist barrels. Does anybody have any imput on this ,Iam not looking for a magic load just a good starting point that can be tuned ?

If you're only doing low velocity target loads, the PRB will also work. It's only at higher velocity that patched balls have odd behavior in fast twist bores. Start with something in the 40 to 50 grain range, perhaps 35. You'll probably find something that works just fine.

O.K., that makes it somewhat different. You might look into getting some of the short, hollow based Minies from Lyman's mold #575494. Without looking, I believe Dixie & Track both sell pre-cast slugs and a bag full or two may tell you if spending for the mold is a worthwhile. That shorter, somewhat semi-wadcutter Minie should do the trick with lighter charges.

I use the lee minie that looks like a trash can. The hollow bottom is filled with lube and I put a thin coat on the outside to keep it from leading the bore. Just cast from pure lead. 60 gr of ffg is the charge. It can handle 70 and still shoot fine. Usually 75-80 and over will blow the squirt out of whack and give poor accuracy.

:hmm: thanks ,I feel that in the past I was using too much powder in a vain attempt to get a flatter trajectory .

Yes sir, you just have to lov them about. If you get over zealous with a minie they don't do well. Heavy loads do well with a heavy conical bullet but the shoulder starts getting tender after a while. So really in the long run you are better off getting it dialed in to the flip up sights and allow for the wind. Those ugly little trash can looking lees are what all the target shooters are going with these days. Just assuming they are the most accurate ones because of that. I don't have any other minie moulds to compare myself, just went with what they use.

Latest posts

Back