• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Target Flintlock Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ.H.

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am looking for a target flintlock pistol to purchase. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank You!

When you decide what you want to buy please put your Wanted request in the classified ad's area.

As for flintlock target pistols, there aren't very many factory made ones around. I'm sure some others will jump in and make some good suggestions though.

I am looking for a target flintlock pistol to purchase. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Thank You!

Are you planning on shooting this in competition or is it just for your own amusement? If it's for competition, the rules can get pretty specific depending on the type of match and we could end up recommending something that wouldn't be legal. In any case, tell us what your plans for it are.

My use would be for pretty informal target shooting. The group I belong to have several shoots in the summer and we are not real concerned about official rule. We are more focused on participation.
That being said I do like accurate firearms.

Dixie gun works lists a few flint lock pistols one with set triggers. These aren’t billed as target pistols but may be of interest to you.

Check out Pedersoli. They have several different flint target pistol models that have won in International Competitions. Mortimer, Charles Moore, LePage, etc..

The Gun Works in Springfield Oregon also makes a flint target pistol.

It is very hard to imagine a " klatchlock" being very accurate.
To get five shots off, without a screw-up, is almost impossible. ( now that statement, will get my butt kicked a few times )
Five shots are the norm for competitive shooting. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
Fred

To get five shots off, without a screw-up, is almost impossible. ( now that statement, will get my butt kicked a few times )
Five shots are the norm for competitive shooting. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
Fred

Fred,
From your statements I hazard the opinion you have never shot a good flintlock. Just your use of the term "klatchlock" is telling.

A flintlock pistol is no less accurate than a percussion. YOU may not be able to shoot it as accurately, but that's not the pistol's fault. Master-class folks at Friendship are disapointed in themselves (not the pistol) if they shoot less than a 97 out of 100 at 25 yds. and even then the 9s are usually cutting the 10 ring.

The championship aggregate at the Nationals involves 30 shots with a flintlock. This is routinely done with no "screw-ups" whatsoever. I shoot the championship agg and the traditional agg totaling 50 shots for a flintlock and do them with no screw-ups--no misfires or hang fires. I don't even have to change flints. The championship agg contains a limited-time course of fire, and for the flint pistol you have 12 minutes to get off 10 rounds--no time at all for screw-ups. I build target pistols and believe me, I would hear from angry customers if they were having "screw-ups".

I believe 10 shots in 30 min. are the norm for pistol matches. Of course individual clubs may vary.

So, consider your butt respectfully kicked--on all counts.

Fred,
From your statements I hazard the opinion you have never shot a good flintlock. Just your use of the term "klatchlock" is telling.

A flintlock pistol is no less accurate than a percussion. YOU may not be able to shoot it as accurately, but that's not the pistol's fault. Master-class folks at Friendship are disapointed in themselves (not the pistol) if they shoot less than a 97 out of 100 at 25 yds. and even then the 9s are usually cutting the 10 ring.

The championship aggregate at the Nationals involves 30 shots with a flintlock. This is routinely done with no "screw-ups" whatsoever. I shoot the championship agg and the traditional agg totaling 50 shots for a flintlock and do them with no screw-ups--no misfires or hang fires. I don't even have to change flints. The championship agg contains a limited-time course of fire, and for the flint pistol you have 12 minutes to get off 10 rounds--no time at all for screw-ups. I build target pistols and believe me, I would hear from angry customers if they were having "screw-ups".

I believe 10 shots in 30 min. are the norm for pistol matches. Of course individual clubs may vary.

So, consider your butt respectfully kicked--on all counts.
Hello Larry,
Thank you for the fine " Butt Kicking"
I have been shooting flintlock for over fifty years. Still learning how to do it well.
Today, I do most of my long gun shooting with flintlock, but still get frustrated when I get an aggravating "KLATCH" or KLATCH...... pause boom and a shot gone wild or low left. But that is just me.
It is a joy to watch a well versed shooter, shooting a smooth bore pistol shooter score five or ten ten X in a row.
My compliments to you all who do it.
But to be fair to me........let me adjust your sights a little before your net shoot.
The flint Charles Moore was a very fine shooting pistol, but I must admit I am/was better at shooting the percussion version.
Fortunately, I had the opportunity to shoot both at my convenience, and chose to stick with the percussion rifled pistol.
Anyone would be hard pressed to find a better pistol than the Pedersoli Charles flint pistol.
All the best wishes.
Fred
I was truly surprised to see the percussion pistol break the clay birds constantly at fifty yards ( with a two hand hold, and rested )
So much so that it surprised our Canadian border patrol as to the accuracy, and ability to keep most of my shots in a four inch black.
Not that I am such a great shot, but that the Pedersoli is such a fine gun.

To get five shots off, without a screw-up, is almost impossible
To correct the above statements, I should have said, That "I" would have a hard time getting so many shots off without a sickening " KLATCK or KLATCH.......pause boom.
In no way does that reflect on so many other expert flint shooters.
Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
With respect to pistol match times and number of shots, for flintlock pistols: Slow fire is 10 shots in 30 minutes. For flintlock Limited Timed Fire (NMLRA Territorial Rules) you have to shoot 2 five string shots in a 30 minute relay; each string of 5 shots has to be done in 6 minutes with time starting with the first shot of the string. Both strings have to be done in the same relay. So, you load, you fire first shot,range official starts his stopwatch, and then you have 6 minutes to reload and fire 4 more times, range official makes sure you got the shots off in time and resets watch. Relax a second, clean pistol/lay out components for 5 more shots, load, fire, and do it again. Percussion pistol is the same, except it's 5 shots in 5 minutes for a string. Been a long while since I shot LTF, but a lot of the 6 minutes can get eaten up walking back and forth between your loading station and the firing line.

With respect to pistol match times and number of shots, for flintlock pistols: Slow fire is 10 shots in 30 minutes. For flintlock Limited Timed Fire (NMLRA Territorial Rules) you have to shoot 2 five string shots in a 30 minute relay; each string of 5 shots has to be done in 6 minutes with time starting with the first shot of the string. Both strings have to be done in the same relay. So, you load, you fire first shot,range official starts his stopwatch, and then you have 6 minutes to reload and fire 4 more times, range official makes sure you got the shots off in time and resets watch. Relax a second, clean pistol/lay out components for 5 more shots, load, fire, and do it again. Percussion pistol is the same, except it's 5 shots in 5 minutes for a string. Been a long while since I shot LTF, but a lot of the 6 minutes can get eaten up walking back and forth between your loading station and the firing line.
Hi,
What distance is this event shot? I assume that it is one hand without rest of any kind??

My 25 yard target from Kentucky Flint match at just concluded Friendship Nationals. Didn't shoot well at 50 yards but did manage 2nd HM in this match.

Built pistol myself: .36 Rice barrel, L&R lock, Chambers touch hole liner. No flashes in pan or noticeable hangfires. Had to figure out how to load it to get this type of ignition.

Yes, top jaw had been removed for cleaning.

Attachments

• 20191001_094921_resized.jpg
    20191001_094921_resized.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 172
Back to the OP's question. I have a Pedersoli Le Page in flintlock that is dependable and accurate. The wood to steel finish is good. I've shot it now for 10 years with no problems.
IMG_20180322_125642065.jpg

I omitted to say that it shoots a .435 ball, .010 greased patch over 25 grains of Goex 3F. The Pedersoli website recommends a larger ball, but that requires a hammer to load.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back