• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tape or.....?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use RIG for the threads of my nipples. You do need some form of grease on the nipple. RIG or anti-seize or other heavy greases will do the job. However all that is needed to tighten the nipple is to the level of snug. If the nipple is installed to the level of snug, it will not unthread and when you need to remove the nipple it will be easy to remove. The torque of snug will not damage the threads and the grease will seal off the nipple threads.

I got no idea of what the facts are on this, but, is there any evidence of olive oil being commonly available in colonial America or post colonial America?

I got no idea of what the facts are on this, but, is there any evidence of olive oil being commonly available in colonial America or post colonial America?
Yes it was quite common. It was a very popular import item. If your local dry goods didn't have it, the apothecary most certainly did.

I shot for years without using anything. I found it easier to remove the nipple with the anti seize so its the way I do it now.

If removed for cleaning and then oiled like the rest of the parts I have never had any issues with it being difficult to remove.

I use pipe dope on my nipple threads. The white stuff in the cardboard tube you buy at the hardware store. Works well for me. One tube last forever.
n.h.schmidt

I think I will try some sort of grease next time. Does it need to be a synthetic grease? The reason I'm asking it that I thought we weren't supose to use grease while firing? Anyway, the problem or issue that I have is that when I put a small dab of anti sieze on my threads, which does do it's job for me, I am somehow covered head to toe with that stuff! Just opening up my niple tin where I have just a small dab for my nipple, I'm covered and so are my rags! It works but if something else would work and be easier and less messy, I'm going to try it. I do have a small tube of super lube that would fit nicely in my kit, will that work?

The grease used for the nipple threads does not need to be synthetic or petroleum based or for that matter animal based. You don't need a lot of grease. You shouldn't get a lot of splatter when shooting.

Before I knew any better, didn’t use anything and never had a problem. Once educated, tried different oils, greases and Teflon tapes. Still had no issues. Currently use Eezox threads, nipple and touch hole liners. Drys to a film and leaves no oily or greasy residue that could contaminate charge...... at least from what I have experienced. Guess if it works for you, you are good to go.

I use RIG for the threads of my nipples. You do need some form of grease on the nipple. RIG or anti-seize or other heavy greases will do the job. However all that is needed to tighten the nipple is to the level of snug. If the nipple is installed to the level of snug, it will not unthread and when you need to remove the nipple it will be easy to remove. The torque of snug will not damage the threads and the grease will seal off the nipple threads.
I

Back