• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tape or.....?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RATROD56

40 Cal
Reaction score
I've heard people say that Teflon tape is best for the nipple, I've heard others say anti-seize. Thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated, I'm a newbie.

I think teflon would work ok, but it's not made to handle fire and heat much above hot water.

I use spark plug anti sieze and it works great. I put some in an empty cap tin and apply it by touching one side of the threads to it. Screwing it in spreads it around. Less is more :)

It is probably much easier to apply than teflon tape.

I think teflon would work ok, but it's not made to handle fire and heat much above hot water.

I use spark plug anti sieze and it works great. I put some in an empty cap tin and apply it by touching one side of the threads to it. Screwing it in spreads it around. Less is more :)

I will second that. I have tried the tape and it does ok but it's a pain.
Use the silver colored high temp spark plug stuff. A small tube will do hundreds (thousands?) of nipple and liner insertions.

I just used oil for many years without any problems. Recently I've started to use anti seize because I have it from auto repair projects and will probably never run out. It is a little better than oil, but I've not had stuck nipples on guns I've maintained. I have had on guns I bought used. Some folks must think you torque them down like a truck lug nut. I just put them in to the point where they just snug up without trying to really tighten them.

Judging by your advice and others, I'm realizing that the tape is not the way to go. Thank you

I just used oil for many years without any problems. Recently I've started to use anti seize because I have it from auto repair projects and will probably never run out. It is a little better than oil, but I've not had stuck nipples on guns I've maintained. I have had on guns I bought used. Some folks must think you torque them down like a truck lug nut. I just put them in to the point where they just snug up without trying to really tighten them.
I thought antiseize would be better but, it's better to ask.

I will second that. I have tried the tape and it does ok but it's a pain.
Use the silver colored high temp spark plug stuff. A small tube will do hundreds (thousands?) of nipple and liner insertions.
I figured it would be harder to use considering the width of the threads on the nipple and the width of the tape.

Olive oil is the go too for a lot of old timers, I'm one of them. The oil used by my grandfather, long passed. A lot of these shooters have their own ideas and use different formulations. I am sure it was the same in the past, to each, his own
Good enough for me, with that kind of history, how can I argue? I do have a question. You mentioned you use it in the bore, do you mean after cleaning or do you use it as a patch lube for shooting too?

I use no water, I dry patch the bore and swab with oily patch until clean. I wrap the patch around the bottom of the jag and clean the breech. My breech is flat, I could see where something else would have to be used if it was a patented breech.
My patch is a strip of ticking I carry over my shoulder and placed in my mouth and cut as I load with patch knife, however for bench shooting I use cut patches soaked in olive oil or wiped on mutton tallow.
There is no end to suggestions you will get here and I think they are all good advise. I have tried some, but always go back to the old ways because so many years of habit. My knowledge comes from ancestry of 1900's and I have no doubt there are ways better, but rust and gunk, I have none.

I use teflon gas tape on cones for my long range rifle and my rifled muskets, and it works well for me. I also use olive oil in both rifle bores and revolver chambers. I never have to cap off in pistol comps because of that. I use" never seize "on revolver cones, shotguns and any other pieces that use small fine threaded cones.

I soap and water clean after shooting, both the bore and around the nipple or flash hole by swabbing and scrubbing. I then dry fully and oil with olive oil, again both in and out, wiping the excess off. Olive oil also makes a good patch lube, which I used for years, but requires swabbing between shots or loading becomes tough. I now use moose milk patches for shooting and mink oil for hunting.
Walk

Back