• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tap size for 1861 Navy Back Strap Frame Holes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenring

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend bought a used 36 cal Navy and the back strap holes need to be taped deeper from what he tells me, the screws he said protrude past the back strap holes and do not recess flush like they should. He thought maybe they were not ran in all the way but there tight. Must have not been tapped all the way or drilled deep enough. He said it’s a Uberti and the year of it from what the guy he bought it from said it was the year when Uberti was going through a lot of quality control problems.he says there is almost no bluing even left on it from just natural use, wow….Bad Year..

With a used gun, it's always possible that the screws he has,, are not the screws that belong there.
A schematic of the gun at VTI parts shows that the two rear screws of the trigger guard are the same as the three screws holding the backstrap,,
https://www.vtigunparts.com/store/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=16&cat=Uberti+1861+NavySo he could remove one of those for comparison or a swap to see if it works,, just sayin.
Or he could file down the screws.
Could be some idiot used a thread lock compound of some kind and botched the job,, and those holes are just full of some kind of gunk,,

A big manufacture like Uberti or Pietta don't make those kind of mistakes. The previous owner put the wrong screws in there or you just better hope that those screws are not cross threaded in the holes. Do as others have suggested and go to VTI's web site - you can also call them and get the straight scoop :thumb:

It’s not me that has to hope there not cross threaded, Ha Ha .but he got the thing for like next to nothing so whatever the outcome is he is still ok.

I figured it would make for some interesting conversation for the site to help out and share there thoughts. I will know better next time than to ask………

I figured it would make for some interesting conversation for the site to help out and share there thoughts. I will know better next time than to ask………
I am with you-there are NO stupid questions! Answers may vary, and you must glean what you need from them!

Back