• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tap and Die Set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been fighting cheap chinese dies. They usually put a taper on both side which is no good for my use. Solid hex dies are made for chasing threads. Split dies are for making new threads. Good dies cost. Cheap dies make a mess.

I do not use oversized tap drills. But, it you do not need full thread for the whole length of the hole, I do make a stepped tap drill section for ease of starting the threads straight.

I'm a hobbyist, not a machinist, but being a mechanical engineer I claim a bit of knowledge about this stuff. Most of our needs for tap and die sets are confined to chasing or renewing old threads, so the correct size and care means more than having the best T&D sets. My most important tool is a thread gauge to figure out what I have, but this comes from working on English motorcycles with four different thread standards, sometimes all on the same machine. Using cheap Harbor Freight T&D sets vs. expensive U.S. made machinists grade stuff is not nearly as important as proceeding with exquisite caution. It's not the arrow, but the Indian.

Back