• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tanner RB mold question:

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have nothing but good things to say about the Tanner molds I have. A .550 mold from him drops a .550 ball about 99% of the time. As said in other posts, it depends on the casting material. I try to use pure lead in my casting, but occasionally some hardcast bullet lead gets in the mix and will drop a slightly smaller ball. I recently ordered a .345 ball mold for an heirloom .35 caliber long rifle. A .340 was sent by mistake. Once notified of the error, it was repalced with the correct mold in record time. Good people to deal with. Hopefully the son will keep the business going.

I got curious and went out to the shop to measure some Tanner .595s. The first 5 Tanner mold balls were .595 to .594 on the side and .594 to .592 on the mold line depending on how hard I pressed the calipers. Since I use .022 patching in my .62cal. rifle, a couple of thousandths is irrelevant. I quit measuring and went inside. I bought the mold in January.

I didn't wait for the ball to cool between pours. The large size balls could still have been a little soft when hitting the towel or other balls when the mold is dumped.

I use Tanner molds for several calibers. Cast great balls but more, Chris is very good to work with. Would recommend his product to anyone.
Mark

Post 24.Sorry to correct you Hark,Chris should read "HER".Chris (CHRISTINE) has always been lovely to work with as was Jeff, MLAGB No.94 (1963) Except when she gave me a Courtney Burger at a Short Range Champs in 1976(i think)..Not your fault Chris !!
Won 1or2 Medals with one of Jeff 20b Moulds with a Parkfield of Exeter Park rifle back then.Wish I'd never flogged it.
Chris,Love from,

OLD DOG (93)

Sorry about the gender blunder. What or whoever, Tanner molds are wonderful. Craftsmanship is first rate,
service is also first rate.
Mark

I have several Tanner molds ranging from .395 to .710 and have no problem with any of them. I try to use as pure lead as possible and rarely vary more than 1-2 thousandths. I measure and weigh all balls that I cast for competitive shooting. Tanner's products and service are first rate and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.
Mark

Most molds I own, and it's dozens, vary a thousandth or three from what the mold specifies on the blocks. I have a Lyman .445" mold that drops ball from .443" to .445" with roundness that also varies a thousandth and sometimes two. But I use the same patch and get basically the same accuracy and velocity as with my .440" mold. The mold size is specification is necessarily nominal and actual ball dia. is beyond their control.

Back