• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang screws..?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulN/KS

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Over the years I've come across both the machine screw into the guard or trigger plate versions of securing the tang as well as the plain old wood screw into the stock versions. Both methods have worked with no, so far, ill effects. I'm guessing that the machine screw method is better thought of from a craftsmanship standpoint though. :hmm:
Does anyone know which would have been typical for the old guns.

The tang screw into the trigger plate will strengthen the stock. One or more wood screws are adequate to hold a well inletted barrel but actually weaken the stock. I have never, to my knowledge, seen an original with just a wood screw holding the tang in place.

Nothing is carved in stone, but a simple screw was somewhat more "prevalent" in southern guns and the through bolt was "more typical" everywhere else.

But again, every time you try and make a rule about historic long rifles, you can always find a couple of originals that "break the rule".

hawkeye2 said:
The tang screw into the trigger plate will strengthen the stock. One or more wood screws are adequate to hold a well inletted barrel but actually weaken the stock. I have never, to my knowledge, seen an original with just a wood screw holding the tang in place.

I have one that I inherited from my Grandfather.
Many old Southern guns have a wood screw on the tang. They also have a trigger guard that is screwed down and holds the triggers in place. I suspect that this was done to help with maintenance on triggers that were not built using materials that we take for granted in our modern world. There is also the argument that a through hole, which by necessity has to be a clearance hole larger than the bolt, bored through the smallest section of the wrist weakens the stock more than just a shallow hole solidly plugged with a screw. Perhaps the Southern guns with walnut stocks were more susceptible to breaking the wrist than a gun stocked in hard maple so the gunsmiths developed this method instead of the method used on the Pa. rifles? We can speculate, but who really knows? The reality is, however that if you gather ten Southern rifles, usually at least eight of them will have a wood screw holding the tang. There is also the reality that many old rifles in the Kindig and Shumway books show a repair for a broken wrist, and a great majority of these had a tang screw that went through the wrist.

Just as a matter of convenience I drill a pilot hole and put wood screw in it. Then I remove the screw and soak the hole with super thin CA glue and reinstall the screw. Due to the lock, trigger and ramrod inlets, I feel like I have removed enough wood in that area. As was mentioned above a high percentage of the old guns that survived are broken through the wrist and have the tang bolt visible in front of the trigger. Some where I read that most new guns that have been broken have landed sideways when they were broken. With a sideways impact like that the tang bolt would be little help. Good grain flow through the wrist is probably more important.

Both of my smoothbores have a wood screw on the tang. I'd say they are in the southern style as well, simple and not fancy working guns. The wood screw works and, from what you folks have said, has a historical precedence as well.
Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
:hatsoff:

I think that one can "rationalize" which screw is better and my choice is a through tang screw into the trigger plate. Others "champion" the wood screw which is their choice. Iron wears better than wood.....so, why did the Southern gunsmiths use wood screws? Don't have a clue....so won't make any assumptions.

I think in some of the preceding posts, liberties have been taken w/ the facts....most LRs w/ through tang screws don't have broken wrists. Saying otherwise is an unfounded assumption.

The center of gun making in America during the time we're discussing was Pennsylvania and the vast majority of PA arms used a through tang screw into the trigger plate....and that is a fact.....Fred

I think the advent of tang screw thru trigger plate came about with availability of set triggers. I have seen an original where the tang screw is held by a nut in the lock mortise as the tang screw would hit the front set trigger.

Back