• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tall safes again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canute Rex

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking all over the internet (and on this forum) to try to find a tall safe that isn't the size of an apartment building.

I know I can get a 60-gun safe that is 72" tall, but I have neither the need, nor the budget, space, or rigging equipment for that.

There was a Sentry safe that was 60" tall and only 14 guns wide, but that is discontinued.

60" tall on the inside is about the minimum for me. I would deeply appreciate any leads.

For a budget approach, I use a surplus tall (six feet) gym locker that I have bolted to the wall studs. Locks with a padlock.

Coot said:
For a budget approach, I use a surplus tall (six feet) gym locker that I have bolted to the wall studs.
Same here ... but was a heavy surplus 2-vertical door storage cabinet. Whatever use it was made for, it sure was industrial, as the metal is almost 1/8” thick all over. If going away, I remove the locks and they’re stored at someone else’s house.

My industrial cabinet will hold my Hudson Valley fowler w/ 60” barrel ... as I’ve never measured just how long or tall she is! Best part ... I bought it surplus ”˜by the pound’, cost me < $60! Check business furniture places & Craigs-list.

I layer 5/8” sheetrock (1-hour rated) on all sides & top, for some fire protection. Cheap, works ... done!

Canute, ( A few metal studs and drywall)
I know you are looking for a safe, but I have an alternative you might want to consider: A new wall with an opening into your walk in hidden room. Two foot of depth parallel to an existing wall gives lots of room. Have an open door way (no door) and place a chunk of 4 x 8 styrofoam over the door opening and hang a dart board in front. Make sure the dart board looks used. If the thief can't find them, he can't steal them. I realize this is not a fire stopper, but it is a good safe place.
Flintlocklar :wink:

Liberty Centurion 10 to 12 guns 60” tall
Dimensions H x W x D 59.5" x 18.25" x 18"

I have a Liberty safe and think they are the best for my money.
I did look at a lot of brands. My money doesn’t grow on trees ether
I got the largest safe I could get, so I did look first before I plunked down money.
The price included setup and delivery

Good luck in your search.

William Alexander

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm probably going to go for a combination of locker/cabinet and "security through obscurity."

I built two cabinets, for BP rifles, out of 1" plywood. I joined the inside corners, with angle iron. The door has metal strips, inside. I used heavy carriage bolts, with the heads buried in the wood, on the outside. I also used two heavy duty hasp and big locks. On the outside of the cabinet is a sign. "NO SMOKING-------BLACK POWDER"

You could get a Stack-On Gun Safe or any of the other cheap safes used I think.

Bolt it the wall & floor. Epoxy the door shut.
Drill a large hole (3 or 4”) in the top and fill it with concrete, that will keep any thieves busy.

Then hide guns behind the sofa

:wink:
William Alexander

My son-in-law, suggested that I drill small holes in the bottom of the cabinet, with pieces of straw hanging out and put a sign on the cabinet "SNAKES"

I'm thinking maybe a big metal cabinet with large electrical conduit coming out of it and into the wall and a "Danger: High Voltage" sign.

I'm seriously thinking about a couple of these: In the Wall Gun Safe. Not large enough, right? Well I'm going to cut the bottom out, so that when I mount it on the wall the guns butts will actually go down into the wall, and rest on the plywood inside the wall. I'll make an insert to enclose the exposed portion to keep the mice away. My 18 year old doesn't have a "long rifle" problem the way that I do, as he prefers shorter caplocks, so his won't need modification.

As for concealment, well, behind clothes in a closet, or a full length mirror, and I like the idea of running faux armored electrical cable into the top of the unit, and marking it "DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE", though with my modification I'd have to probably attach the bottom of a 20mm Cannon, Ammo Can to the bottom of the unit, and paint it all "utility cabinet gray". Here's a link to a "voltage decal".

I think having a "safe" in a couple of rooms will actually help resale value.

LD

I actually now think that I may simply get a New School Locker , with the legs, being 70" inside height, and remove the interior book self if it's in the way. In the basement the legs will (hopefully) keep the guns out any minor water problems. I might get it with a Built-in Lock and add a second, external padlock. Only draw back is waiting a month for the unassembled version to arrive. I figure in a remote corner of the basement it might go unnoticed by thieves or if they are in a hurry they might not bother with it.

A lot less hassle with not having to modify the actual metal container, and I merely need to bolt it to a stud.

LD

Mine doesn't have legs but the bottom layer is GI ammo cans & the guns rest on them. I have leaned a number of fishing rods against the locker & put some fishing related stickers on it so hopefully anyone would think that it is just more fishing gear inside.

Back