• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Talked to 200+ Fifth graders today about the Kentucky Frontier.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Jacob and I spent the morning at our local Simon Kenton Frontier Festival going on this weekend near my home. I was asked to talk about the guns, hawks, fire starting kits or anything frontier related in KY to 5th graders. Anyway..here's a few pics of the event:
I was talking about George Mefford & his wife floating the 400 miles from Ft Pitt down the Ohio River and landing near our hometown in a flatboat in 1784:

242170588_573810590411758_7713929524584049769_n.jpg

241356593_1842304202608323_8222934654297568546_n.jpg

Of course the kids were interested in the firearms of the day & every kid had the opportunity to hold the ( unloaded ) guns.

241430971_573074280776415_7185224241901451883_n.jpg

After the kids left: ( I'm on the left )

241405406_927197094806393_2976863853954350689_n.jpg

Mrs. Day popped her head out of the 1784 cabin. She was inside talking to the kids about the harsh life & chores that had to be done living in KY during the 1780's.....

241214830_226481942786207_1141203160016629461_n.jpg

We had a blast volunteering for this. There is another festival in December called Frontier Christmas. I will have a roaring fire inside that cabin and teach kids how to dipped candles from " back in the day"......

I didn't film any video.
This retirement life is truly wonderful....Thanks for reading..

I'm very thankful for any person , who teaches others , especially children , about our early historical background. I have been extremely fortunate to speak at historical societies , church groups , and a few other folks. It can be said , there is almost no information , out in public knowledge about the settlement of our eastern frontier as far west as the Mississippi River. Information about post 1600 history can be like pulling teeth to acquire. I've studied this history for 60 + yrs. . My curiosity started from a highway historical marker and a 6th grade history teacher that lived near that historical marker. The class the teacher taught discussed the history of the time and somehow I knew there had to be more to the story. All I can say is , yes , over the years , I found there was a huge amount of history few folks knew existed. I still study books daily. Way I see it , there is little happening today that can match the uniqueness of America's post 1600 history. .........I'm really off in the weeds.................oldwood

I'm very thankful for any person , who teaches others , especially children , about our early historical background. I have been extremely fortunate to speak at historical societies , church groups , and a few other folks. It can be said , there is almost no information , out in public knowledge about the settlement of our eastern frontier as far west as the Mississippi River. Information about post 1600 history can be like pulling teeth to acquire. I've studied this history for 60 + yrs. . My curiosity started from a highway historical marker and a 6th grade history teacher that lived near that historical marker. The class the teacher taught discussed the history of the time and somehow I knew there had to be more to the story. All I can say is , yes , over the years , I found there was a huge amount of history few folks knew existed. I still study books daily. Way I see it , there is little happening today that can match the uniqueness of America's post 1600 history. .........I'm really off in the weeds.................oldwood
Sir, In the mid 80's my Co. Sent me to New Hampshire to work for a year. I lived and worked in Merrimac & Nashua . Got to know the staff at the hotel pretty well as they were mostly college kids they knew their stuff , just none of it was historical. I'm a history buff and this area was a dream for me as so much happened right there! When I would talk to these students about their own neighborhood they had no idea at all what I was referring to. None. Zippo. Nada. They weren't able to identify an historical building across the street. It is still depressing.
John

Jacob and I spent the morning at our local Simon Kenton Frontier Festival going on this weekend near my home. I was asked to talk about the guns, hawks, fire starting kits or anything frontier related in KY to 5th graders. Anyway..here's a few pics of the event:
I was talking about George Mefford & his wife floating the 400 miles from Ft Pitt down the Ohio River and landing near our hometown in a flatboat in 1784:

View attachment 94521

View attachment 94517

Of course the kids were interested in the firearms of the day & every kid had the opportunity to hold the ( unloaded ) guns.

View attachment 94518

After the kids left: ( I'm on the left )

View attachment 94522

Mrs. Day popped her head out of the 1784 cabin. She was inside talking to the kids about the harsh life & chores that had to be done living in KY during the 1780's.....

View attachment 94523

We had a blast volunteering for this. There is another festival in December called Frontier Christmas. I will have a roaring fire inside that cabin and teach kids how to dipped candles from " back in the day"......

I didn't film any video.
This retirement life is truly wonderful....Thanks for reading..
Sir, while this is an outstanding endeavor, and worthy cause ;please tighten up the leggings and buy yourself some period correct glasses. You are showing the wrong impression.
Love your videos by the way. Very entertaining!

Sir, while this is an outstanding endeavor, and worthy cause ;please tighten up the leggings and buy yourself some period correct glasses. You are showing the wrong impression.
Thanks for the tips.
Also...
Thanks for watching the videos......a new one is being posted Sunday morning.

Last edited:
I dont care about your leggins or the glasses what you are doing is worth more than looking the official part. Those kids are getting something they wouldnt get in public school. Thanks Mark for doing that. Hickok45 has nothing on the BPMS.

WOW, that was last year's event. This year's event was held last weekend.
I picked up better glasses. Tightened those leggings somewhat.
I realize they aren't perfect, but, I don't use them enough to spend $400-500 on PC glasses.

Here is this year's event:

i can not imagine what would happen if you let 5th graders handle a firearm in my state. there would be hell to pay. thank god there are still free states and children that are interested. i thank both of you.
Fortunately...I still live in a state that appreciates history as it was.
Sadly, I realize it is NOT the same elsewhere in America anymore.

I dont care about your leggins or the glasses what you are doing is worth more than looking the official part. Those kids are getting something they wouldnt get in public school. Thanks Mark for doing that. Hickok45 has nothing on the BPMS.
Thanks for those kinds my friend...I LOVE to do those school talks.....
sometimes, I can still perform them in the schools.

Latest posts

Back