• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Tales of Makin Meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock Home Isle

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I love to hunt. It’s been a passion for my entire life. Fall…to me, is a season that signals freedom. It’s a time of year to venture out into the field in search of game.

Just got home from our annual family Dove Hunt, and finished a nice dinner with my wife. I normally take photos of my hunts and excursions, but this family group that I hunt with…it’s a pretty physical hunt, not the leisurely hunts that one would expect for a dove hunt. I plum forgot to take any images this year, much to my wife’s chagrin.

I took my dad with me today. He’s getting up in years, and I cherish these times that we have together.

It was such a fun time hunting with friends and my cousins, today. My cousin’s son hunted for the first time today. He’s 9 years old, and I could tell he was very nervous…I put a bottle of ice water in his shooting vest, and some homemade beef jerky in his front vest pocket…and the two of us did a couple hours of the morning hunt together, at our second stop of the day. The little guy was using a bolt action .410 (what is my cousin thinking…he needs to be hunting with a Fusil or at least a percussion double barrel)…it was very obvious that he’d been versed in safety and Hunter etiquett. He hunted so hard today; got 5 doves, was very proud of himself, and had a great time. During the heat of the day, at our 3rd stop, he spent a lot of time hunting with my dad in the shade of a huge elm tree…flight after flight came into them. I don’t know how many more he got, but his excited voice indicated it must have been productive.

He didn’t last much after our 3rd stop of the day, was really tuckered out by 10:30…just done…

I started this annual family hunt shortly after I married my wife. I met these cousins at a family picnic, and we started swapping stories. I remember loading all the kids up and going out to the farm pond and catching a 5 gallon bucket of bullfrogs. That was so fun. One thing lead to another and I was invited to come out for a dove hunt, a couple months later. At this time, I was in my early 20’s and my cousins were 12 & 6 years old. I’ve hunted with these boys for the last 33 years…they are men now, with families, and the hunt has grown to an annual event; with a small dedicated group of family and friends marking their calendars, for Labor Day Weekend each year.

It’s a very different hunting style than I have ever been exposed to as a Dove Hunt; we call it “Combat Dove Hunting”. As a group we caravan to a site, these hunt locations are abandoned homesteads from the Great Depression, or old overgrown hedgerows, near water and feed. Once we arrive, we get out, everyone gets ready, and we move through the area, taking doves as they flush from their roosts; all the while reloading as quickly as possible. There were times today that the sky just filled with doves.

After we’ve cleared through and pushed the doves, we setup in pairs, reload, and take stands and wait. It doesn’t take long and doves are streaming back through the trees, back to their roosts. After an hour or so of steady shooting, we’re finished, we pack up and go to the next site. Rinse & Repeat…all day long; for 3 days.

The layout of the locations vary, we cover many miles of country each day, of the long weekend. And today we literally got into thousands of doves. I wish I had been able to make it for the whole weekend. Very good year…Dad & I were successful enough that there will be a Dove BBQ Monday with my grandkiddos at my dad’s house.

And the best thing about where we hunt? Most of the doves I shot were Eurasians…invasive species, no limit. Once in a while I’d screw up and bring down a morning dove; lots & lots of Eurasians and maybe 8 morning doves, amongst the 10 shooters, that made the trek this year.

I’m retired now, last spring was my last year as a professional educator. It’s a pretty physical hunt, we cover lots of ground, actively, post up, then head out to the next location…the combination of heat and activity…wears me out. I made it through the first day and I need some time to recover.

Mid to Late September I’ll be ready to go back for a late season dove hunt. It’s a favorite hunt, much slower pace, more time at productive location. More time to talk and catch up…

Then we start looking at how the November pheasant season is shaping up…it’s hard to say right now, with all the crops still in the fields.

October 1st marks opening day of Rabbit Season.

Last edited:
What a great outing. Especially getting that young man started. I wonder how many years he has been waiting for this? Finally! Obviously you are still in the education game. 😀

What a great family adventure. The bolt action .410 made me think about my some yesterday. He’s 32 - but he decided to hunt with my old bolt action 20 gauge that I learned to hunt with. He said since I was shooting a ML it would make it more fair, lol.

FD25FFCA-D46E-4EC7-B587-EB7765267F7B.jpeg

BBQed doves breasts, onion, jalapeño & wrapped with bacon. This is such a great meal

Years ago when Nebraska had it's first dove season, My Brothers and I went out, all birds have to be shot in flight. Well on a scorching LABOR DAY, the day wound up with our limits 10 birds each. That's when we started counting shells.To MY surprise, I shot 10 for 10, each of my brothers were at various points of there second box. My oldest Brother said "You need to put up your shotgun and NEVER shoot doves again" NO TRUER WORDS HAVE EVER BEEN SPOKEN I haven't even come close since.Sometimes it's better to be Lucky ,than Good.....Be Safe >>>>>>>>Wally

Not to steal your thread, about 20 or so years ago was a big time dove hunter (un-mentionable) so I am set up in a fence row, very good spot and along comes my gunsmith at the time and asks hows the shooting, told him I just set up. He says lets shoot together at a dollar a bird O.K. with me. We flip a coin for first go, At the time was shooting a Remington 1100 12,ga. first flight I put three birds on the ground. He gets his wallet out gives me three dollars and said I think I willl go to the back of the field. End of gunning time here he comes asked how I done told him I just limited before he got to me (actually missed every bird after he left) He just walked on never saying a word.🤣

I love to hunt. It’s been a passion for my entire life. Fall…to me, is a season that signals freedom. It’s a time of year to venture out into the field in search of game.

Just got home from our annual family Dove Hunt, and finished a nice dinner with my wife. I normally take photos of my hunts and excursions, but this family group that I hunt with…it’s a pretty physical hunt, not the leisurely hunts that one would expect for a dove hunt. I plum forgot to take any images this year, much to my wife’s chagrin.

I took my dad with me today. He’s getting up in years, and I cherish these times that we have together.

It was such a fun time hunting with friends and my cousins, today. My cousin’s son hunted for the first time today. He’s 9 years old, and I could tell he was very nervous…I put a bottle of ice water in his shooting vest, and some homemade beef jerky in his front vest pocket…and the two of us did a couple hours of the morning hunt together, at our second stop of the day. The little guy was using a bolt action .410 (what is my cousin thinking…he needs to be hunting with a Fusil or at least a percussion double barrel)…it was very obvious that he’d been versed in safety and Hunter etiquett. He hunted so hard today; got 5 doves, was very proud of himself, and had a great time. During the heat of the day, at our 3rd stop, he spent a lot of time hunting with my dad in the shade of a huge elm tree…flight after flight came into them. I don’t know how many more he got, but his excited voice indicated it must have been productive.

He didn’t last much after our 3rd stop of the day, was really tuckered out by 10:30…just done…

I started this annual family hunt shortly after I married my wife. I met these cousins at a family picnic, and we started swapping stories. I remember loading all the kids up and going out to the farm pond and catching a 5 gallon bucket of bullfrogs. That was so fun. One thing lead to another and I was invited to come out for a dove hunt, a couple months later. At this time, I was in my early 20’s and my cousins were 12 & 6 years old. I’ve hunted with these boys for the last 33 years…they are men now, with families, and the hunt has grown to an annual event; with a small dedicated group of family and friends marking their calendars, for Labor Day Weekend each year.

It’s a very different hunting style than I have ever been exposed to as a Dove Hunt; we call it “Combat Dove Hunting”. As a group we caravan to a site, these hunt locations are abandoned homesteads from the Great Depression, or old overgrown hedgerows, near water and feed. Once we arrive, we get out, everyone gets ready, and we move through the area, taking doves as they flush from their roosts; all the while reloading as quickly as possible. There were times today that the sky just filled with doves.

After we’ve cleared through and pushed the doves, we setup in pairs, reload, and take stands and wait. It doesn’t take long and doves are streaming back through the trees, back to their roosts. After an hour or so of steady shooting, we’re finished, we pack up and go to the next site. Rinse & Repeat…all day long; for 3 days.

The layout of the locations vary, we cover many miles of country each day, of the long weekend. And today we literally got into thousands of doves. I wish I had been able to make it for the whole weekend. Very good year…Dad & I were successful enough that there will be a Dove BBQ Monday with my grandkiddos at my dad’s house.

And the best thing about where we hunt? Most of the doves I shot were Eurasians…invasive species, no limit. Once in a while I’d screw up and bring down a morning dove; lots & lots of Eurasians and maybe 8 morning doves, amongst the 10 shooters, that made the trek this year.

I’m retired now, last spring was my last year as a professional educator. It’s a pretty physical hunt, we cover lots of ground, actively, post up, then head out to the next location…the combination of heat and activity…wears me out. I made it through the first day and I need some time to recover.

Mid to Late September I’ll be ready to go back for a late season dove hunt. It’s a favorite hunt, much slower pace, more time at productive location. More time to talk and catch up…

Then we start looking at how the November pheasant season is shaping up…it’s hard to say right now, with all the crops still in the fields.

October 1st marks opening day of Rabbit Season.
Great thread, awesome story of a wonderful family dove hunt.

In my experience the BEST memories are made in the field, be it hunting, fishing or gathering.

Sounds you've got a lot of enjoyment ahead of you in retirement and having been an educator I'm sure it's well deserved. You may be out of the classroom but I'd bet you'll still be providing valuable instruction in the field.

Back