• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking the Plunge.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought a TVM Late Lancaster rifle a few years ago and it is a spectacular rifle. But I have always wanted to build one. I did help an uncle complete a TC Hawken kit when I was a teenager and a cousin built a Lyman kit that I worked on with him. But I want to make one from parts and do it all.

So yesterday I ordered all the metal stock trimmings from ToW minus the muzzle cap, until I decide what barrel I’ll be using. It’s all nickel silver(yeah I know but it sure is pretty). I’m going with a large Siler deluxe lock and a single trigger. No patch box, but I plan on a semi fancy maple stock. Straight barrel, 36”. I want the metal finish to be a worn gun metal type finish. I like the traditional brown but I want it to seem aged but without all the dent and scratches, just don’t know how to get that. I have time. It’s going to be a long process.

I’m handy, have all the required tools I’m confident I won’t take $800 in parts and turn them I to a $300 rifle. It’s not any particular style or era. Just a picture of it in my head that I’m going to follow. It’s going to be a hunting gun and I won’t attempt any fancy wood carvings but I do plan to inlay a hunters star on the stock. I have a couple books I’ve been reading and have handled a few really nice rifles that I would hesitate even shooting they were so nice so I think I have a good footing to start on. YouTube seems to have a tutorial for everything too.

Consider this the first installment of many. I may video the entire process as best I can. Not as a tutorial but just a documentary. I expect it will take a year of evenings and weekends as I do not plan to do anything that i haven’t thought about, practiced on scrap and then thought again.

Here’s to it!!!!

And do NOT buy a pre-made muzzle cap. Odds are about 100% that it won't be the size you need for the dimensions you make your fore stock. Make the parts fit the gun, rather than the other way around. The factory made ones are going to be far too chunky and clunky.

cant wait to see your project come to life.
What books are you using?

Last edited:
I think video of a first build would be of enormous value. Problem with all the videos out there already is that they are all done by someone that has some experience. A video showing what it is actually like to build the first gun would be great for all the guys out there that are thinking about doing it.

Hi,
I never buy muzzle caps for the simple reason that I can inlet it much faster if I make it. You simply shape the muzzle of the stock to the inside dimension of the cap, wrap annealed sheet brass around the wood, then shape and solder on the front. Install the cap and file the front flush with the barrel channel flat and there you go. One piece caps are a bit more trouble.
1fAD9wK.jpg

dave

Back