• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taken Again

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 54 cal TC Hawken. Guy claimed good shape even in the bore. I get the gun and the bore is pitted and rusted at the muzzle. So I decide to buy another barrel. Found some on anti gun Ebay. Guy shows the barrel with bore light and says good shape. I bid on the barrel and won the bid. Now I have 2 barrels with rust at the muzzle. :bull: Does anybody tell the truth? Am I missing something? Good bore to me doesn't mean rust and pitting. :idunno: :cursing: If I was closer to these guys the barrels would be sticking thru there front doors. Al

I get the to good to be true thing. But the price of the barrel wasn't one of those to good to be true prices. The guy that sold me the gun is sending me a check to replace the barrel. But I just did get the barrel I bought from eBay. I sent that guy an email telling him not impressed. Im going to give him a chance but I may send it back to him and demand a refund. Al

Who would sell a perfectly good gun?????? :hmm: :haha:

If you think about it there is a looser and a winner in every deal.....just depends on which side your on.....

May not make you feel any better about it, but I've seen some pretty dog gone rough looking barrels do some pretty amazing shooting. People still shouldn't be dishonest either though, but alas, they are. Complain to the auction site, that usually gets some good results.

Have you given any thought to scrubbing the barrel and then shooting it? It might be a serviceable barrel. Not being able to see what you are confronted with, I would give it a try before throwing in the towel.

Just my two cents. :hmm:

colorado clyde said:
Who would sell a perfectly good gun?????? :hmm: :haha:

If you think about it there is a looser and a winner in every deal.....just depends on which side your on.....

I like the looser ones, the tighter ones are always harder to deal with and get a good price out. of. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Oh or did you mean loser...?

D D has it right. I have lapped out several rough barrels and they shot fine. Hard to clean, but good shooters. Since T.C. uses a button broach to form their rifling instead of cutting it, they are not a candidate for refreshing and if too bad need to be rebored to a higher caliber. Bobby Hoyt is the man for that!. :hmm:

I know that buying new isn't a sure thing either, but I have a hard time buying used, especially muzzleloaders from someone/some place I'm not familiar with. I know there are some "good deals" out there, I'm just not sure I can find them.

sorry to hear of your troubles... before complete despair, however, i'd try shooting with the barrels: this will tell you one of two things. either they won't shoot well, and this supports your position that you should get a refund, or they shoot OK, which means that you're not completely done out of your money.

absent that, perhaps a trip to Mr. Hoyt is in the future. He does really nice work!

Good luck with your project, and when done, Make Good Smoke!

Who would sell a perfectly good gun??????

:hmm:

I would, if it wasn't something that I obtained to keep in the first place.

If I rescue a rifle or gun, and do some restoration work..., halt the rust, clean and check the bore, scrounge the missing parts and replace them...., maybe redo the stock, and then sell the item at a fair price, then that's a "win" for me, and a "win" for the next buyer.

The only "loser" would be the fool who let the rifle or gun sit in the corner, ill kept collecting dust, so that when it came time for him to sell it, he simply dumped it. :wink:

I've taken chances and luckily when it came to rifles, I've been miraculously surprised. But, to be fair, when I bought them, I was fully prepared to send the barrels to Bob Hoyt, and turn them into smooth bores if the barrels were roached and poor shooters.

LD

I agree Al. Not every transaction has a winner and a loser. I've bought some good deals and sold some on line. Only got taken once out of many transactions.

Why sell a good gun? No longer using it and want to find another or a hunt or something for a grandkid.

I don't get upset very often, but a lack of integrity will trigger me every time.
If I sell a gun (or a banjo from my other hobby), I take photos and point out all the flaws. That is only right.
I am sitting here with a suppository handgun that doesn't eject casings properly. I've replace the ejector and tried 3 weights of recoil springs and just can't get it to be perfect. Friends tell me to sell it. Sell it? Hand the problem to some unsuspecting individual? No way! That gun doesn't get sold until it works properly.
Ron

I hear you Ron and the majority if not all of us here are like you and with you. I admire your integrity and honesty. Unfortunately, there are SKUMBAGS out there who don't give it a second thought to take advantage of good trusting souls. They are only out to make a buck and do not care about their own reputation or honor. Yes, SKUMBAGS!!! My heart goes out to anyone who has been taken advantage of by these lowlifes. Respectfully, cowboys1062.

colorado clyde said:
Who would sell a perfectly good gun??????

When I was making the switch from Percussion to Flintlock I sold a bunch of perfectly good guns. I've also purchased a number of perfectly good used guns from Track of the Wolf consignment. It's one of the things I like about using them for purchases...10 day inspection and if not happy, back it would go for a full refund (less shipping.) Track does a pretty good job of pointing out flaws they see such as small chips, cracks, etc.

There doesn't have to be a winner and loser. People change their minds about things they want and sell good things all the time.

If the price was super duper cheap (like $20) then I'd try to make it work. If it was more in line with what you'd expect to pay (70% of new) as adjusted for condition, I'd send it back, and leave appropriate feedback. When buying stuff on line I seldom look at their positives, but I ALWAYS look at their negatives and neutrals. Scammers can't avoid that for long, and they're gone soon enough.

Latest posts

Back