• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taco originally meant “plug” or “wad” in Spanish

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definition of taco in the Spanish dictionary​

The first definition of taco in the dictionary of the real academy of the Spanish language is a piece of wood, metal or other material, short and thick, that fits into a hole. Another meaning of taco in the dictionary is short and thick piece of wood. Taco is also a cylinder of cloth, paper, tow or similar thing, which is placed between the gunpowder and the projectile in some firearms, so that the shot comes out with force.

For those that speak Castellano
https://dle.rae.es/taco

Maybe back then, but I've heard it discussed among "Mexican Gentleman" as slang for a Woman's genitalia. Hot and Spicy?
No doubt but can you think of much that isn’t
Girl says she need an oil change, guys overhearing comment to them selves ‘yeah I’d change her oil’
Everyone who made tortillas stuffed stuff in them. Southwestern Indians made super thin pica bread. Just a super thin tortilla and those were folded with stuff in it.
However ‘tacos’ as we know them seem to be an American invention, at least in terms of tge border

A plug to fill an empty stomach. Tomorrow we study the “burrito” 😜
I actually had a burrito with egg and chorizo this morning. Not the original recipe for chorizo, just some homemade stuff I made from scratch.

No doubt but can you think of much that isn’t
Girl says she need an oil change, guys overhearing comment to them selves ‘yeah I’d change her oil’
Everyone who made tortillas stuffed stuff in them. Southwestern Indians made super thin pica bread. Just a super thin tortilla and those were folded with stuff in it.
However ‘tacos’ as we know them seem to be an American invention, at least in terms of tge border
Back in the 1960's when I was very young, on a trip with my parents to Mexico, I ordered tacos, expecting to get what we call "tacos" today, and what I'd had from Jack-in-the-Box restaurant..., what I got was what we call taquitos today. They do look a bit like wooden sticks one might tamp down into blast holes....,

Something like these...

TAQUITOS.jpg

LD

Back in the 1960's when I was very young, on a trip with my parents to Mexico, I ordered tacos, expecting to get what we call "tacos" today, and what I'd had from Jack-in-the-Box restaurant..., what I got was what we call taquitos today. They do look a bit like wooden sticks one might tamp down into blast holes....,

Something like these...

View attachment 242221

LD
Raised in a Spanish speaking environment. Many used taco as “eat something”

Are tacos period correct? No kidding. When the mountain men got out to California, etc. they wrote about dinners with fruits, cheese, various meats, bowls of beans, etc., and that "their" bread was flat. Nothing about food rolled up in "their" bread.
In Taos, the mountain men wrote that the fields were planted in both maize and wheat. I think on a return trip to the States some type of whole gain wheat was parched, like maize/corn. I think a lot of the wheat might have been used for "white lightning".

Interesting History about the word Tacos.
When they first became popular in Mexico, they were served in the silver mines. At the time, they were thin sheets of paper wrapped in gunpowder.

Hi! I signed up just to say thank you for this post. I am doing a grad paper on the history of the taco and this helped me a lot. Thank you so much!

I think a lot of the wheat might have been used for "white lightning".
Wheat is very laborious and expensive to be using for "white lightning". Corn aka maize that has been malted is the traditional grain for that. ;)
IF the agave plant is available then maize isn't even used, but agave instead.

LD

Latest posts

Back