• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tack Driver Shooting....

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Maniac.........My weak , and sick mind has come up w/ a way to drive tacks w/a m/l rifle w/ every shot. Here's what I came up with. Git some of the wide flat head tacks and double sided sticky tape. This is where we depart from tradition. Probably , say at least use a .45 or.50 cal ball ,punch the tack through the tape and wrap the tape around the ball ,tack w/point up. Tack base can sit on the sprue cutoff flat on the ball . Loading , put powder in bore , patch the ball as normal. Use a ramrod w/ the screw in r/r tip removed so the sharp end of the tack goes in the empty hole. This m/l rifle will surely be a "Tack Driver" Mr, Maniac , my intention was not to steal your thunder , because somehow I know you already thought of this way of m/l tack driver shooting...............oldwood

Mr. Maniac , since fertile minds are at work here , I have another suggestion for the use of a muzzle loader.
One day I came from work , and walking past the laid-up rubble stone wall next to the back door of home , I was attacked by Yellow Jacket wasps and got some painful stings. Naturally there was no bug spray , so a flash of genius struck me. I watched the gap between the stones where emanated the nasty critters. Wanting revenge on them as bad as any Shawnee warrior fresh from battle , i inserted the muzzle of my .75 cal. Brown Bess into the hole and boom. All I had in the Bess was a full load of FFG w/some rag over the powder. Well , some of the varmints musta died , as fewer came out w/the smoke. Side benefit of the action was the smoke emanated from all the other exits the critters could use. Just for good measure , another load applied to the next biggest smoking hole down the wall sort of "back flushed " the cavity . No more yellow jackets......... .................. Hope this is helpful to another wasp sting victim ................oldwood

Mr. Maniac , since fertile minds are at work here , I have another suggestion for the use of a muzzle loader.
One day I came from work , and walking past the laid-up rubble stone wall next to the back door of home , I was attacked by Yellow Jacket wasps and got some painful stings. Naturally there was no bug spray , so a flash of genius struck me. I watched the gap between the stones where emanated the nasty critters. Wanting revenge on them as bad as any Shawnee warrior fresh from battle , i inserted the muzzle of my .75 cal. Brown Bess into the hole and boom. All I had in the Bess was a full load of FFG w/some rag over the powder. Well , some of the varmints musta died , as fewer came out w/the smoke. Side benefit of the action was the smoke emanated from all the other exits the critters could use. Just for good measure , another load applied to the next biggest smoking hole down the wall sort of "back flushed " the cavity . No more yellow jackets......... .................. Hope this is helpful to another wasp sting victim ................oldwood
Hmmm, sounds like cool suggestion. Probably too cool this time of the year.

Oh, yes. I've killed wasp nests in the past with a blank charge of black powder; works better than bug spray and not nearly as dangerous.

And, BP mainiac, I was at a woods walk years ago and the only shooter to split the card was a lady with a T/C rifle. Move over guys...

Oh, yes. I've killed wasp nests in the past with a blank charge of black powder; works better than bug spray and not nearly as dangerous.

And, BP mainiac, I was at a woods walk years ago and the only shooter to split the card was a lady with a T/C rifle. Move over guys...
Yeah....some of those ladies are crack shots!!

Whether standing there cutting the card or splitting the ball on an ax you'll surely learn all about steady and follow through.
:)

IMG_2345.jpeg

My tack driver. 3 shots 75 yards. .54 Hawken w/100 grains KIK 2F powder and Hornady swaged ball/spit patch.

In the 70's we did a turkey shoot at our club, when everyone thought they were Jeremiah Johnson, suspended a frozen bird by butcher cord at an appropriate distance, think it was 50 yards and you put a buck in the pot and tried to cut the string, next up took a turn, took quite a few tries , the winner got the bird and the club the pot.

Dave524, we did one similar during the same time frame but our turkey was behind a log with its head tied above the log, but he could still move his head back and forth. It took several rounds of shooters before anyone got lucky. I don't suppose most places would do it now due to complaints about cruelty to turkeys.

Hey how abouyou wannabe Anne Oakley's enter the postal match? See how you shoot for real. M Smith does alot of work so let's support his efforts . Then we will see the tack drivers.

Back