• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C White Mountain Carbine Re-bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've had a .50 White Mountain carbine tucked away for several years, it was not one of my better internet buys. The gun looked great on the outside but definitely had some bore issues, unfortunately not the only time I've been burned on a popular auction site.

After reading the Bobby Hoyt accolades here I called and after a brief conversation shipped the White Mountain barrel with instructions to re-bore to .54 suitable for round balls. I received the barrel today and my drop in bore light inspection impressed me. As soon the "atmospheric river" weather we're experiencing ends I'm headed to the range.

I've been shooting a PA Hunter Carbine, only made in .50, for years which I've found both accurate and handy so I'm looking forward to what is now essentially a .54 version.

The service I requested cost $125 plus shipping, about $50 round trip in my case.

Your cost may be different depending on what service you request. I've read posts about his work and reported costs vary depending on the work description.

if I might ask, what did that set you back to rebore?

With Bobby Hoyt you don't just get a re-bored barrel, you get something truly special.

Indeed: The first seven shots from my Navy Arms Hawken .54 caliber with rounded grooves. Distance is 50 yards.

oOJUFdpl.jpg

Indeed: The first seven shots from my Navy Arms Hawken .54 caliber with rounded grooves. Distance is 50 yards.

oOJUFdpl.jpg
I'll send a report later in the week, as soon as the weather and range schedule allows. Glad to know you're satisfied with Hoyt's work. If all goes well I've at least one more rebore project I'd like to have done.

I'll send a report later in the week, as soon as the weather and range schedule allows. Glad to know you're satisfied with Hoyt's work. If all goes well I've at least one more rebore project I'd like to have done.
I wonder what percentage of his work is repeat business? Very high I would expect.

So the rebore was a complete success as far as I'm concerned. I've run roughly 80 patched round balls trying .530 and .535 Speer with various patch combos. Settled on the .535 with red stripe ticking, spit lube and 90 gr. FFG. I started at 25 yds then moved to 50 yds, haven't tried 100 yds yet. My rest was a sand bag draped over a 4 x 4 block of wood. Black target 50 yds and orange 25 yds, the holes in the bare board show the group view from under the 25 yd target.

Attachments

• 20211203_113612.jpg
    20211203_113612.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211203_104153.jpg
    20211203_104153.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 20211203_104051.jpg
    20211203_104051.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 24
Think about how many guns with bad bores you see? Plenty of failure to clean.
Well now those guns can get new life. I would bet at least three-fourths of his
business is word of mouth--especially on forums like this. His service has us all
thinking about possible re-habs and re-bores--and stuff that is trashed--now gets
a second look.

Think about how many guns with bad bores you see? Plenty of failure to clean.
Well now those guns can get new life. I would bet at least three-fourths of his
business is word of mouth--especially on forums like this. His service has us all
thinking about possible re-habs and re-bores--and stuff that is trashed--now gets
a second look.

Just because you think a bore is "bad", try to run a scotch brite patch through it to smooth it out a bit and shoot it. You might be pleasantly surprised. Here's a group I shot out of my "sewerpipe on a stick".

Sewerpipegroup.jpg

Another shameless plug for Mr. Hoyt's work. It really is top notch. Happy to see your rebore shoots as well as mine!

The service I requested cost $125 plus shipping, about $50 round trip in my case.

Your cost may be different depending on what service you request. I've read posts about his work and reported costs vary depending on the work description.
when you sent the barrel to bobby hoyt, did you have to strip it down or send it complete with sights and under barrel rib

Back