• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Trouble's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well,more bloody dramas.
Have had to change to 2f,as I ran out of the previous powder ( I'm suspecting it was 4f ). Previously was using 40gn of "4f", so I tried 55gn of 2f under a 126gn Maxi-Ball. Thought it looked good at work.....this morning has stripped me of those hopes ! All the shots shown are at the same point of aim at the same distance ( 40m ) with the barrel swabbed between shots. Holes marked "c" are the Maxi-Ball loads.
Also wanted to try a PRB load,using 40gn 2f,leather wad, .350rb wrapped with spit lubed 10 thou tight weave cotton cloth cut at the barrel. There actually seems to be some hope for this load.
One thing I've noticed is that the lead shim I used to tighten up the hook breech lug has disappeared, and the barrel is able to twist slightly in the stock. So I'm glueing a couple of bits of thin roo leather in the barrel channel,it REALLY tightens everything up. Hopefully this helps with consistency a tad. Will also try 15 thou patches. If it comes down to it,I'll try to get hold of more 4f or at least some 3f. I can see the rifle wanting to shoot,she's just being a pain in the arse about it.

Attachments

• 20220221_092920.jpg
    20220221_092920.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 31
What you have is most probably a T/C Seneca . I have two of these fine little shooters in .36 cal. One is marked clearly, Seneca , the other was made earlier in T/Cs manufacturing and does NOT have a name on the barrel ! Both shoot beautifully !!

So I just pulled the nipple on the Seneca and received my new nipples in the post. Is that enough wear to make a difference? I confess to expecting something a little more dramatic 😅
That is a bunch of wear ! By the way , when new nipple is installed , Reduce your powder charge to 35-40 grains . i hope you will see a drastic change in your shooting . BTW , in my T/C shooting manual , 60 grains is the max powder charge.

That is a bunch of wear ! By the way , when new nipple is installed , Reduce your powder charge to 35-40 grains . i hope you will see a drastic change in your shooting . BTW , in my T/C shooting manual , 60 grains is the max powder charge.
Geezus h christ !!!!! Perhaps read the whole thread instead of jumping in 3 months later !!!!!

What you have is most probably a T/C Seneca . I have two of these fine little shooters in .36 cal. One is marked clearly, Seneca , the other was made earlier in T/Cs manufacturing and does NOT have a name on the barrel ! Both shoot beautifully !!
No **** sherlock

I’m sorry to hear that you are still having troubles with your 36 cal Seneca. I recently changed the nipple in mine to a new track of the wolf nipple and I have had constant issues since with the 1075 caps I have used for years. The problem seems to be fit and I have to push each cap to ensure it is seated properly. I think I will change back to the old nipple and try my Dremel on the new one.

I’m sorry to hear that you are still having troubles with your 36 cal Seneca. I recently changed the nipple in mine to a new track of the wolf nipple and I have had constant issues since with the 1075 caps I have used for years. The problem seems to be fit and I have to push each cap to ensure it is seated properly. I think I will change back to the old nipple and try my Dremel on the new one.
My new ones are the same,nothing a bit of time with a nail file didn't fix. Now my CCI caps fire first time every time,but the RWS ones need 2 strikes to go off. Its a simple fix though.

I must admit,after years of using 50 cal rifles,the fussiness of this 36 is a tad frustrating. At least I now have more of the equipment I need to get her shooting than I did when I started this thread. I've even found out who I need to contact in South Australia to get blackpowder ( tbh I had his phone number all along,just didn't realise it ! ) but its yet to be seen whether or not he has any 4f to buy.

I hope you get it figured out, I’m looking for a 36, I’d love a Seneca! I’m gonna follow this, there’s been some good advice here.

That picture is absolutely a Seneca. A good rule my dad told me years ago; move the rear sight IN the direction you want the bullet to go. The front sight you move in the opposite direction!

Pete...did you know you have a Seneca, and the 36 will do better with 3F, or that a Seneca takes a 12-28 nipple? 🤣

Dayum...I crack me up.

In all seriousness, you really should try milling the powder you have to make it a little finer. You were getting such good results with the fine powder you were using, and if you have a wooden rolling pin and a cutting board it costs nothing.

As I said,I can't readily get other powders. I'm stuck with 2f. You're idea of the nipple being drilled or worn out may have some merit,as water runs pretty darn freely from it when I clean her. Still,I doubt that contributes or detracts from the accuracy.
You can bet the ranch on it ,new nipple will prove it or seal the deal on poor patch !/Ed

Pete...did you know you have a Seneca, and the 36 will do better with 3F, or that a Seneca takes a 12-28 nipple? 🤣

Dayum...I crack me up.

In all seriousness, you really should try milling the powder you have to make it a little finer. You were getting such good results with the fine powder you were using, and if you have a wooden rolling pin and a cutting board it costs nothing.
Yeah....I know.....and a new nipple will save my day.....except it didn't.

I've found a source of 4f in the last 24 hours,other than that I HAVE in the past used a mortar and pestle to gently grind 2f down to fine powder for my flintlock pan.....

Back