• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Trouble's

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Without reading anything but the original post ; I do own one and have owned and shot several thru the years and can truthfully say I have never known one to be hard to get good groups with at or under 50 yards. I cast my .350 balls in dead soft lead in either a Lyman 2 cavity or an old Lee 6 cavity .350 mold . I use between 25 and 40 grains of FFFG in either Goex , Schuetzen , or some of my hoarded Dupont. At 25 yards all shots will stay on a quarter on a bad day and a dime on a good one . Patches are .018 and I use bear oil for hunting and as often as not spit patch for target , strip cut on the muzzle . My current Seneca came as a .36 and I have added a factory .45 barrel . It shoots pretty close to the same with the .45 barrel using Lyman 440 balls , same patch and 50 grains of Dupont FFg .

Maybe someone changed out the barrel for one with a fast twist ? That could be why it is not Seneca marked . Is the Thompson Center mark present on the barrel ? Never known a factory Seneca that would not shoot round balls let alone one that would only shoot conical bullets. Glad you got it shooting and are enjoying it to the fullest , them goats sure look tasty .

I'd say its an original barrel

Attachments

• 20211229_103608.jpg
    20211229_103608.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 93
And did the hammer blowback problem disappear? Glad it’s working for you now ! Greg
Ok,so I did take note of the fact that the hammer had set back to half cock after shooting the fox. Seeing as half cock is only about 5mm from fully fired position,its not something I readily notice. However, I'm beginning to think that just maybe the hammer spring is a little weak,as there's been a few times now that the gun has misfired but fired with a recock. Mind you,thats with the new nipples too,so they may be slightly oversized as well.

Are your caps seating all the way on the new nipples ? If not you can chuck them up in a drill and dress them off just enough to allow them to seat but still be tight . I doubt the main spring is weak.

Are your caps seating all the way on the new nipples ? If not you can chuck them up in a drill and dress them off just enough to allow them to seat but still be tight . I doubt the main spring is weak.
You say you doubt its the mainspring,well,I just fired an RWS cap off,nothing else,and THAT set it to half cock.....

See if "The Gun Works" has any springs.

Another place to look for a spring is:

Classic Fire Arms & Parts

Last edited:
You say you doubt its the mainspring,well,I just fired an RWS cap off,nothing else,and THAT set it to half cock.....

Has someone clipped some coils off the spring maybe ? Seems replacing the nipple did not affect the self cocking . My son had a TC that would fire intermittently leaving the hammer on the safety notch . Like to drove me crazy till I checked the one thing that should have been the first thing I checked . It was a just barely loose screw in the lock, one was tight but one was seated but not tight . I have owned a lot of TC rifles and still own 5 that I can think of right off , all have had the snot shot out of them and none has ever developed a weak spring . I have seen 1 that broke and gave issues and a couple that had been clipped to lighten them that gave trouble .

Has someone clipped some coils off the spring maybe ? Seems replacing the nipple did not affect the self cocking . My son had a TC that would fire intermittently leaving the hammer on the safety notch . Like to drove me crazy till I checked the one thing that should have been the first thing I checked . It was a just barely loose screw in the lock, one was tight but one was seated but not tight . I have owned a lot of TC rifles and still own 5 that I can think of right off , all have had the snot shot out of them and none has ever developed a weak spring . I have seen 1 that broke and gave issues and a couple that had been clipped to lighten them that gave trouble .
It doesn't appear to be clipped. I'm actually not too terribly worried about it,I tested 4 RWS caps yesterday with zero misfires so I think the misfire problem is more to do with either the CCI caps or nipple size or a combination of both. And it didn't set to half cock every time either.

Yep, did not think of that. Might take the spring to a good machine parts place to see if they have one with a little more zest.

Well she keeps racking up game ! Another bunny for the freezer !

Attachments

• 20220102_215836.jpg
    20220102_215836.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 32
You are closing in on Britsmoothy
I'm on holidays at the moment so I'm hunting a fair bit lol. And I still use regular firearms a bit,mostly at work,so I probably have caught him and passed him just not with a muzzleloader 😅😅

Weeeeelllll....just ran into a problem....ran out of powder with a goat hunt on tomorrow.....🙄🤣

Back