• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T-C taper bores?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a T-C .45 Hawken and three T-C .54 renegades and it has dawned on me that all four load the same way in that after 6+/- inches of starting a load down the barrel, they all go down quite easily but are quite stiff in the front part of the barrel regardless of whether I'm using a conical or patched ball. Are they "choke bored" or is this normal for all manufacturers? They shoot fine but I'm curious!

I'd say conforming too but I'm going to add what a friend said he was told by tc warranty service ( back when that existed).

He had a TC that he was trying to shoot conicals in. The accuracy was terrible. Enough that he complained to TC. The barrel was looked at by TC and they provided him with a new barrel that shot fine.

Here's the explanation he told me they gave.

The TC barrel is bored and button rifled. As the button is pulled through it gets hotter and hotter due to the friction. As the button heats it enlarges an therefore one end of the barrel is slightly larger than the other. They are supposed to be breached on the large end but his was not. And that was supposed to be the reason it shot poorly.

As the button heats it enlarges an therefore one end of the barrel is slightly larger than the other. They are supposed to be breached on the large end but his was not.
I have had a couple barrels (not T/C) that had slightly larger bores towards the breech. They would not hold a conical in place in the field while hunting. The conicals moved off the powder. Pretty useless setup for me when using conicals, but may be just the thing for shooting them at the range. I don’t know.

I have to use a short starter with every rifle I shoot. This is a good indication of the prb conforming to the bore. After getting started the prb either goes down easily or at least without protest.

Back