• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T-C smoothbore Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here I am with my kid, who is now a displaced person from college, shooting the 56 Cal SB. He thinks the SB would produce more kick than a rifled ML rifle of the same caliber? I personally don't know. Question..........If all the variables were the same, bore size, charge, barrel length, round ball ETC, would one ML have more kick than the other due to a rifled barrel or a lack of rifling?

Cobra 6

So here I am with my kid, who is now a displaced person from college, shooting the 56 Cal SB. He thinks the SB would produce more kick than a rifled ML rifle of the same caliber? I personally don't know. Question..........If all the variables were the same, bore size, charge, barrel length, round ball ETC, would one ML have more kick than the other due to a rifled barrel or a lack of rifling?

Cobra 6

The stock will have a good bit to do with determining your perceived recoil. IF you could use a single stock with interchangeable barrels that were spec'd as you say, then the results should be an apples to apples comparison. I don't have such a setup, so would only be able to speculate, but perhaps someone on the forum DOES have that setup and could provide a qualified answer. Any takers?

Cobra 6

Back in my old college physics days, force is the product of mass times acceleration. If the smoothbore and the rifled gun are firing a ball of the same mass and using the same powder charge, then the force applied to the shoulder should be the same. Stock configuration may change the direction of the force somewhat, Now if the charge of shot has more mass than the round ball, then the force would be greater. A 54 caliber ball is about 1/2 ounce and a charge of shot might be 3/4 ounce. Over the same charge of powder, that difference could be felt. There's subtle differences in the rate of acceleration, but too small to be detectable by most of us.

Billy-by-Gosh, Grenadier,

Makes sense to me that there would be a subtle difference, as mentioned, between, the RB and shot over the same charge. Also, good point about the stock configuration and perceived recoil.

TKS

Cobra 6

I've found the most accurate load for the TC 56 SB is 90 grain FF greased 28 gauge wad and a greased .559 round ball. Been using this since the 70's
x9rhSfd.jpg

No, the .001 is taken up by the grease, I use crisco or equivalent, the variances in the ball keeps it snug. I can't remember where I got this mold. Back in the day, Massachusetts was smooth bore only for deer hunting. I think a friend of mine had it made and I ended up with it. The nice thing is after every shot, the greased wad would kind of clear the bore whenyou pushed it down. We could shoot all day with minimum fouling.

Back