• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Seneca 36 caliber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a TC Cherokee in 36, very similar to the Seneca. It’s very accurate at the distance I practice at, 50ft. That’s about the distance I can shoot squirrels at. It’s very effective as a caliber for small game. My gun likes 20 grains of 3f.

I have a TC Cherokee in 36, very similar to the Seneca. It’s very accurate at the distance I practice at, 50ft. That’s about the distance I can shoot squirrels at. It’s very effective as a caliber for small game. My gun likes 20 grains of 3f.
Thanks so much for your response. You mentioned "50 ft" as the distance you shoot which is about 16 yards. What would you say is the ultimate range of the gun?

Thanks so much for your response. You mentioned "50 ft" as the distance you shoot which is about 16 yards. What would you say is the ultimate range of the gun?
i have nailed squirrels out to almost 100 yd with mine. I use an old 30-30 brass as a powder measure; not sure about true weight . FFF. Very accurate little rifle. In the safe now, as I built myself a long rifle in .40 and flint. Waiting for the grandson to get big enough to start shooting.

No, that’s my squirrel range, I routinely can shoot clay pigeons at my range off hand at 75 yards, 40 grains fff black powder. I call it the 22-250 of muzzleloaders

I've had a .45 cal Seneca since I bought it new in 1972. A couple of years ago a saw a .36 cal barrel on sail on EBAY and bought it. I love both. Patch cloth from Hobby Lobby is easy and casting your own balls is fun. Bill

Ya know, I plainly remember way back when TC was building the Seneca and they were plentiful. Being young and dumb I never gave them the first consideration. Now I would just about sell a kidney to buy a good one, if one can even be found.

If you check out Midway and Natchez, both have recently had some Hornady round balls on great sales. Might be worth a look if you definitely have a Seneca lined up to buy.

i have nailed squirrels out to almost 100 yd with mine. I use an old 30-30 brass as a powder measure; not sure about true weight . FFF. Very accurate little rifle. In the safe now, as I built myself a long rifle in .40 and flint. Waiting for the grandson to get big enough to start shooting.

A .30/30 case full of powder would be a heck of anstout load for a .36.
Don’t know how much that would weigh, but it would have to be a lot.

I've got a Seneca in .36 and a Cherokee in .32. Both handle squirrels fine out to about thirty yards. Beyond that range, you can hardly see a squirrel's kill zone, let alone actually hit it... unless you got young eyes.

You won't likely find either .310 or .350 round balls on any shelf in the local gun shops. Just not enough demand to justify a small business stocking them.... not even larger chain stores for that matter. You'll have to order from Dixie, Track or somebody else. You can also cast them. Oh for the days when I worked at a gun shop that stocked all that stuff!

The bigger issue is parts. S&W bought out T/C some years back and they no longer honor the warranty on the older guns from pre-takeover days. They don't supply parts at any price either, so you gotta either make/repair your own parts when they break or keep extra guns around for parts scrounging. Some of the parts in those locks are pretty complex. That said, they don't seem to break very often. I've had my Cherokee for over twenty years and the Seneca for about ten. I had to work a sear engagement on the Cherokee once about ten years ago and I got a crack starting out in the Seneca. Neither repair is especially difficult.

True story about my Cherokee:

I was working at Olson Sales, a local gun shop just outside of Green Bay, Wisconsin. A man brought me a chunk of wood with a rusty piece of iron attached to it. He claimed it was a gun, but I had my doubts. Eventually we struck a deal and I then purchased the piece of junk from the boss for well under a hundred dollars as near as I can recall.

I sent the gun back to T/C under warranty to have the broken hammer replaced. It came back with a new hammer. It had also been refinished... except for the stock, which wasn't all that bad anyway. I dunno what they did to the bore, but it seemed much better than it had been when I sent it out.

As I was not the original owner and the gun was at that time probably fifteen years old, I fully expected a hefty repair bill. No charge. All expenses covered under warranty. You just don't see customer service like that anymore!

All in all, I would absolutely recommend either a Cherokee or a Seneca as a small game/target rifle. There isn't much out there these days to compare them to.

Latest posts

Back