• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C rifle barrels labeling

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't believe I've ever seen a muzzle Loader that did not have that warning. However, I have seen guns without the "Please read Instructions before use".

I've been told that Invest Arms copied T/C's Hawken, especially the Coil Main Spring Lock used on other models, such as Lyman's Great Plains rifle and pistol.

Investarms was making a "Hawken" rifle for Navy Arms, Sile, and others before Thompson /Center introduced their Hawken rifle. Thompson/Center's claim was that their guns were American made, and supposedly of better quality than an Italian rifle. We now know that claim is untrue because those early Investarms rifles were just as well made, and have stood the test of time.

Investarms was making a "Hawken" rifle for Navy Arms, Sile, and others before Thompson /Center introduced their Hawken rifle.
Thompson Center came out with Hawken in 1970. Investarms was founded in 1975 by the three Salvinelli brothers, at least according to their website. Guess their website is incorrect?

I don't believe I've ever seen a muzzle Loader that did not have that warning. However, I have seen guns without the "Please read Instructions before use".
My T/C Hawken has no warning on it. It was a kit that I bought in 1983. Also, all of the rifles and pistol that I have built from parts and pieces have no warning stamped into the barrels. However, the Dixie Southern mountain left hand rifle that I bought for my wife does have the warning stamp.

I saw a movie as a teenager I think called "The Plainsman" but not real sure that's the correct name. Anyways, the Eye-talian Hawken featured prominently in it. And that same time frame Gander Mountain or whichever catalog it was had that rifle on sale. It was the Lyman that had the big patchbox with the bullseye on the lid. I believe some call it the model 120 but it was called "The Plains Rifle" in the catalog. This was in 1967 or 68 and the TC Hawken didn't premier until December 1970.

My T/C Hawken has no warning on it. It was a kit that I bought in 1983. Also, all of the rifles and pistol that I have built from parts and pieces have no warning stamped into the barrels. However, the Dixie Southern mountain left hand rifle that I bought for my wife does have the warning stamp.

I was referring to Black Powder only. I've never seen one that didn't have that. So, yours doesn't?

Thanks!

Walt

Thompson Center came out with Hawken in 1970. Investarms was founded in 1975 by the three Salvinelli brothers, at least according to their website. Guess their website is incorrect?
I stand corrected. Where in Italy did Val Forgett have his reproduction black powder firearms made? I can recall seeing pictures of what looked just like the eventual Thompson/Center Hawken rifle before 1970 in Gun Digest, and other publications.

I have a Seneca that has no marking at all on the side opposite the nipple. Have one that says black powder only and one that says black powder only and to read instructions before use.

I stand corrected. Where in Italy did Val Forgett have his reproduction black powder firearms made? I can recall seeing pictures of what looked just like the eventual Thompson/Center Hawken rifle before 1970 in Gun Digest, and other publications.

I know that Antonio Zoli made his Harper's Ferry and Zouave models. I have a Navy Arms shotgun made by Pietta.

I've been told that Invest Arms copied T/C's Hawken, especially the Coil Main Spring Lock used on other models, such as Lyman's Great Plains rifle and pistol.
Here you go...
I believe the lawyer warnings started around '83 or '84. This one is mint - no scratches or blemishes of any sort. It sits in my cabinet next to an original '73 Winchester. I bought the T/C to shoot but my wife claimed it as a "design element" for her library - so I bought a .54 GPR to hunt with.

1629495807245.jpeg

1629496145323.jpeg

I was referring to Black Powder only. I've never seen one that didn't have that. So, yours doesn't?

Thanks!

Walt
Correct. My T/C does not have any warning stamped into the barrel. My T/C looks like the one Nameless Hunter shows.
Also, I need to correct my statement about the Dixie Southern Mountain left hand flintlock, there is no warning on that rifle. I stated earlier that there was a warning stamped on the barrel. I examined the rifle closely and there is no warning.

Here you go...
I believe the lawyer warnings started around '83 or '84. This one is mint - no scratches or blemishes of any sort. It sits in my cabinet next to an original '73 Winchester. I bought the T/C to shoot but my wife claimed it as a "design element" for her library - so I bought a .54 GPR to hunt with.

View attachment 90705

View attachment 90706
You will enhance the look of the wall hanger with usage. It will add patina plus you will get to enjoy shooting the rifle.

Here you go...

View attachment 90705

View attachment 90706
My TC Hawken has no warnings. It is a kit that was well done. I bought it in a pawn shop about 8 years ago. It has a beautiful walnut stock. The flat opposite the nipple has only a serial # beginning with K. Dale

My Renegade has only Thompson Center arms Rochester New Hampshire Cal 54. And a four digit serial No 4xxx.

For what it's worth...........

My 50cal flint No.12xxx and 45cal perc No. 80xxx T/C Hawkens do not have any warnings either.
So warnings started sometime after serial 80xxx.

Don't know when either gun was sold, got them used.

I had been told that only affected the Patriot Pistol. Side-locks were still being manufactured until 2007, then discontinued. This happened after Smith and Wesson purchased the company.
I fondly remember when I could drive 3 hrs north to Rochester NH and peruse the offerings at Fox Ledge ( Ridge ) can’t remember, TC’s custom shop across the parking lot from the factory. On one occasion I went to purchase a 50 cal. Flint Hawken and when I got there I was told they had been discontinued. Disappointed, I spent some time enjoying the the other items available, and just as I was about to leave spun around a rotary display bargain rack, and on it was the exact “discontinued “ rifle I was looking for. I will never ever ever part with that wonderful American made flint hawken. Don’t know why some jerk big wig at Smith decided to close that shop ☹

Last edited:
Nice Renegade, mine is a little more well used. I used it for deer for 15 years before we got a black powder season. I shot more deer with it than any other gun I have. It is like a old friend to hunt with.
It's a recent addition to the family here. I haven't even got a mould for it yet. Its my first .54 and its going to be my hunting rifle when i get it dialed in.

This thread got me to wondering
so I checked..........7 TC’s and only two have the warning and they differ greatly. One is a Seneca and the other a Hawken. The warning on those two are much different in size and location on the barrel. The other five has no warning. Greg 😊

Back