• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Renegade Trigger Pull

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpmann3518

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a way to adjust the fron trigger? I don't mind using the set trigger but if I don't the pull on the front one is extremely hard.

Nope, no real "adjustment".
It has to do with the location of the pivot and the geometry of the lever.

Being sure the lock itself is clean and lubed and not over tightened in the mortice helps.
The screw that holds the lock in the gun doesn't need to be super tight, just enough to hold the lock in place.

I believe this problem was discussed years ago. I had a TC Hawken that had a 10+ lb front trigger pull and at the recommendation of members of this forum I ground one coil off the coil trigger spring and got a 4 lb pull weight. I did not want to use the set trigger feature. The 4 lb pull is where all my centerfire rifles fire and I am used to it so it was a great solution for me.

Please read these previous posts for proper context. I am assuming the Hawken and Renegade locks are the same. Can't help you find the posts. I have little luck with the search function.

Appreciate the input. I cleaned and lubed it and re-adjusted my set trigger. Was more curious than anything if there was something I missed.
I'll look into that with the spring KV. Maybe I can find lighter replacement springs if I get tired of the set trigger.

Actually the "pull" can be reduced but it is a precision job. The tumbler notch and sear engagement can be honed. The ideal angle of the sear to tumbler notch is 90 degrees. Less than 90 degrees and you have a heavy pull since you are actually fighting the main spring. More than 90 degrees and the tumbler tends to "push off" the sear and leaves you with a lock that doesn't want to stay cocked. Which is a dangerous situation. For this reason ALL production rifle manufactures make their tumblers slightly less than 90 degrees to unsure no misfires and liability problems. Rehoning the notch will lesson the pulll but must be done carefully or the gun will not be safe! :idunno: :idunno:

Yeah thats the last thing I need is the gun going off accidently. Not a bad price on that trigger either. I'll get a chance to do some real shooting next month and decide on replacing it.

Back