• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Renegade Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Were there any differences between a Thompson Center Renegade flintlock or percussion stock? Were they interchangeable?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I would think they are but that is just a guess. I do remember a poster a while back that had a percussion lock and barrel as well as a flint lock and barrel that he interchanged on the same stock.

I put an L&R lock in a percussion stock but that was a totally different lock and took a good bit of inletting to get installed in the right place.

I have switched T/C flint locks and percussion locks and barrels on the same stock with no issues. I have heard that sometimes the touch hole on the flint lock barrels will not line up in the center of the pan on flint locks that were exchanged from percussion locks, but that was not the case for me.

Sometimes may have to shave a tiny bit of wood in the lock mortise/inlet to get the pan tight against the barrel.

I bought two different TC Hawken flintlock rifles new in the box from big box online sellers, both came from the factory with the touch hole placed in the back corner of the pan. I sent one back to TC because of this misalignment, they sent it back to me and said they didn't see a problem with touch hole placement and the gun fired just fine. I bought these guns after TC's quality had gone down a good bit, the last one I bought had the lock held at the proper depth in the inlet with hot melt glue.

On the above-mentioned L&R lock swap I had to move the barrel back to align the touch hole to the sunset position. If your touch hole is off you do have a little wiggle room on a factory gun to move the barrel back but not forward. I had to cut about 1/4" off the rear of the under-rib to move my barrel back, the wedge pin clevis on the barrel is oversized and lets you go back a little.

The stocks are interchangeable from flintlock stock to caplock lock, however like bubba.50 said, from caplock stock to flintlock lock will require the lock mortise to be worked on somewhat. The flintlock locks I've installed required the caplock stocks to be opened up for one screw. See pictures below. I've included several different variables of caplock stocks including a single trigger, a kit gun set trigger stock and a factory finished set trigger stock. Bottom pictures has an arrow pointing to the area I have found needed some wood removal to get a flintlock lock to fit a in a caplock stock. Like Eric said, T/C quality took a fall at some point, you will find hot glue holding locks up making up for poor inletting. So, you may find variables in your results swapping stocks, but for the most part minor inletting will allow stocks to be interchangeable.

20220918_082543.jpg

20220918_082710.jpg

Back