• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Renegade Lock amongst other things

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encorepete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone provide me information on the quality of the T/C 1970's percussion lock found on the .50 renegade. I was thinking of upgrading to a better lock. Does anyone make a drop in replacement lock of better quality? Thanks. Pete

Excellent. A little polishing and stoning will improve it, but the materials are strong and the geometry is well engineered as is. As far as I know there is no demand for a replacement. It incorporates coil-springs and offers better longevity that flat springs - say four lifetimes instead of one. I have heard the flint-lock is less well thought of, but have never owned a T/C flinter.

the flinter is just as good i'd say....same coil spring tech.......................bob

TC has made significant design improvements on their locks in the past several years, both percussion and flintlock.
I have a number of their locks, all of which TC has been excellent in upgrading or replacing for me when I've sent them in.
If youre lock is that old, virtually every part on it has been redesigned for improved reliability...you might simply mail it to the service manager Tim Pancurak asking him to look it over to improve it's reliability.
Based on my experiences with TC, you'll probably get an entire new lock assembly in your mailbox in a week or so, or worse case, the same sideplate returned with every internal part replaced on it.

As has been mentioned there are drop in replacements for the T/C lock.
There are replacement barrels, locks, and stocks and if you replaced all that stuff you wouldn't have a T/C amymore.
I almost fell for that one and figured I'd have the cost of the T/C, the new stock from Pecatonica, a replacement LR lock, Green Mountain barrel and the cost of the whole thing would only be about $800 bucks!!!! :boohoo:
Soooooooo I took birddog6's advice and had a .58 Jeager built by him for about...., well we won't go into that, but he builds a really fine rifle, AND his prices are a bargan no matter the cost. I was so thrilled with the Jeager I bought a .40 Bucks County from him also.
Now I own several T/C's, 3 Lymans, a CVA, and these two custom guns.
I'll bet if you sent the T/C back to the factory they would upgrade it if need be for nothing but the expense of shipping.
There isn't a thing wrong with the T/C product and they have the best service in the industry.
I have one at least 20 years old and the stock developed a slight crack near the butt plate. They replaced it with new and I had it back in 5 business days. ::

I purchased a .54cal.T/C Renegade (mis)used a few years ago ,after some clean-up and adjustment it has performed without a hitch.I would have the lock rebuilt rather than replace it with another brand. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I have a Renegade that I've had since 1971. If I thought there was any way they could improve it I'd send it back
but for 33 yrs. it's been as good as it could be. I know they changed the shape of the hammer and maybe they did something internally that made it a few micro seconds faster
but it's excellent as is. I put a GM round ball barrel on it, that's the one thing that will improve it.

thanks for the replies. the lock functions strong and fast without proble. I think I'll just clean it up and thats it. Mine is circa 1975. I got it used and in excellent condition. I'm buying a drop in .58 barrel from TOW. Waiting now for delivery. Thanks. Pete

I have a 20+ year old Renegade that I have shot the devil out of. It still has the same lock and still goes off every time. The percussion lock of the T/C back then was considered one of the best at that time. Mine decided to prove that point. ::

Back