• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T.C. Pennsylvania Hunter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxfirejem

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to the forum and am looking for input from others on this rifle. I spoke with T.C customer support and was told it was introduced in 1988 and discontinued in 2001 and that they do not have any manuals for it since Smith & Wesson acquired T.C. in 2007. I am primarily interested in the overall performance of the rifle, especially where accuracy is concerned out to 50 to 75 yards, and what loads seemed to produce the best results. I also own and have hunted with, a T.C. Hawkwn flintlock which I purchased many years ago but stopped hunting about 10 years ago. Thanks in advance for any input that anyone can share.

The best thing about the PA. Hunter guns from T/C is that they had slow twist barrels (1:66) for patched round ball use. I have seen a few, and shot against a fellow that had one. He shot very well with his and said he could keep 2" groups out to about 85 yards. I found his gun quite comfortable to shoulder, and agree that it would make a good woods hunting gun as it was designed for.

I have one in percussion and one flint. I shoot a .490 round ball with linen patches over 60 grains of either Swiss or Goex. Excellent accuracy. I am currently looking to find more of these rifles - yes I like them.

I am new to the forum and am looking for input from others on this rifle. I spoke with T.C customer support and was told it was introduced in 1988 and discontinued in 2001 and that they do not have any manuals for it since Smith & Wesson acquired T.C. in 2007. I am primarily interested in the overall performance of the rifle, especially where accuracy is concerned out to 50 to 75 yards, and what loads seemed to produce the best results. I also own and have hunted with, a T.C. Hawkwn flintlock which I purchased many years ago but stopped hunting about 10 years ago. Thanks in advance for any input that anyone can share.
Most T/C sidelock manuals became generic. I have a red covered manual from 1990; it lumps load data for the Pennsylvania Hunter in with .50 round ball loads for Hawken, Renegade, etc. It shows FFG loads from 50 grains upto 110 grains max. using .490 ball and of course T/C patch material and lube. It states that you will most likely find your most accurate load somewhere around 80 grains.
I had a P. Hunter for a short time and as best as I can remember it shot fine.
There is a pdf of what looks like the last Hawken manual posted on line; it shows the max load at 100 grains.

Good info here. I have several and the one I shoot seems to like 80gr FFG, ,490 speer with pillow ticking. For hunting the PA conical from Hornady is killer with 80gr. Those PA conical rounds are very accurate, just a little pricey.

Good info here. I have several and the one I shoot seems to like 80gr FFG, ,490 speer with pillow ticking. For hunting the PA conical from Hornady is killer with 80gr. Those PA conical rounds are very accurate, just a little pricey.
Cotntop, you need to send a few of those rifles my way. I promise to use round balls only. ;)

Got lucky and found an unfired PA Hunter in the archives on AR-15.com. Actually was buying this rifle for a friend and he found one himself and did not tell me so I wound up with this rifle. If I decide to sell one I will let you know or if I see another will contact you.

Latest posts

Back