• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Penn Hunter Carbine bore obstruction

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to take it to a local gunsmith tomorrow to check out. I’m sure he can give me a quick answer as to what it is. I’ll update you guys on what he has to say about it. I gave the ram rod some good raps last night but nothing budged.

I suspect that the bore was drilled for touchhole, then threaded for a liner install but the burr from drilling and tapping was never removed from within the bore.
Walk
I can’t find much online about this specific model but all the pictures I see appear to have the same touch hole liner. See pic.

Attachments

• 3EA393C6-5E17-4488-957C-9CF2C03454A8.jpeg
    3EA393C6-5E17-4488-957C-9CF2C03454A8.jpeg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
I suspect that the bore was drilled for touchhole, then threaded for a liner install but the burr from drilling and tapping was never removed from within the bore.
Walk
I agree. I don’t know what else it would be. I am assuming that they drill the larger hole directly into the barrel and then thread for the liner. I’ll have it whipped soon enough

The vent on the T-C goes into the breech plug, not the barrel. If you are seeing something intruding into the barrel itself you need to run your ramrod down the bore to the obstruction, hold your fingers at the muzzle , pull the RR out and lay it beside the barrel, still with your fingers at the muzzle. This should show you where the obstruction is and you can look for something being drilled & tapped into the bore.

Intrersting problem! Are you seeing the screw threads on the right side of the barrel? I wouldn't be surprised if they were at the top and are a screw for the sights that someone managed to break through into the bore....

Back