• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Patriot ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our gun shop took in a T/C pistol, 45 cal. prec.-looks like pix of Patriot, except no brass nose cap & has brass ferrule for ramrod. No model marked on bbl.( wasn`t "Patriot" on bbl?)Sights are typical Patr. Did T/C make a cheaper version or could be kit gun? (wood isn`t as nice as one might expect & lock plate inletting not perfect) $200.00 seem reasonable as shooter?

I have seen early TC Patriots that did not have the brass nose cap. At a distance, they sort of looked like Patriots. Closer inspection and talking with the owners confirmed the pistols were the genuine article.

It might be the pistol you are looking at is an early version. It also might be something that has been re-stocked. If it were possible, I'd lift out the barrel and take the lock off. You might find some clues on the backside of the lock and the underside of the barrel. The older versions of the Patriot I have seen had "Patriot" stamped on the top of the barrel along with the caliber. The markings I have seen on Patriots have all been fairly deep. They could be removed by filing just the same.

The price you mentioned seems to be very good. But I would be cautious and inspect it carefully.

If what you have is a TC Patriot, it would be marked as such! Brass or no brass???
MArk

Papa said:
If what you have is a TC Patriot, it would be marked as such! Brass or no brass???
MArk
I agree, T/C guns are all prominently marked on the barrel.

traditions trapper is huge compared to a PATRIOT and weighs almost twice of what a Patriot weighs.

Patriots came in 45 and 36 caliber. Trappers I think may only be in 50 caliber.

I had a t/c patriot. Very accurate pistol. Patriot has an unusual trigger. The forward trigger is the set, back is firing. It makes firing easy. The adjustment screw on mine didnt do much,but the break was light and crisp and i won alot of matches with it.

Early Patriots were plain and had no nose caps. Barrells are clearly marked by TC Arms.

I used a .445 ball, .015 patching and (admission)
20 grains pyrodex Pistol. The P.P. worked very well in that gun.

Patriots are very sought after these days.

Developed a problem with my elbows and traded it for a white oak longbow which was a mistake as a year later i tore a rotator cuff shooting the bow.

had one a while back and i regret letting it go, even though i was never enamoured of the trigger arrangement. all the T/C guns i've ever seen were marked with "Thompson Center" on the barrel, although i'll be the first to admit i'm no expert. That said, $200 is a pretty good price for a shooter, assuming that it's in good mechanical condition.

My early Patriot says Thompson Center Arms
And .45 Caliber on the barrel. No nose cap.
Triggers are as all Patriots, (rear trigger fires the gun)and single stage.
$200.00 is a good price if its in even FAIR condition.
Warning. Some competitions do not allow the saw handle stocks.
Jon D

While the barrel might not be marked "Patriot", if it's marked "Thompson Center", I would think you have no worries at that price point.

FWIW, I've found that T/C ALWAYS marks their products with the company name, but also has pretty consistantly failed to mark a newly-introduced model's name on the barrel (at least on the side-hammers), during those early production runs.

I've seen 13/16" barreled Pre-Seneca's w/o the Senaca marking (I have one), likewise a Cherokee, a few Hawken's of various bores, and now I've also heard of a Patriot or two.

Mine is not "Patriot".

patriot001.jpg

patriot003.jpg

patriot002.jpg

So would this one be a "kit", Patriot or ?

Joe Yanta

Well, mine doesn't say Patriot on the barrel either. The box, however, is marked Patriot. The four digit serial number is marked on the label. Appears to be some variety with the markings. g

Mine does not say Patriot on the barrel but it is one. It is a five digit serial number gun.

Mine has a four-digit SN (barely) - I wonder at what SN Thompson initiated the "Patriot" barrel marking ?

DSCN0379.JPG

Back