• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Patriot suprise

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow-Feather

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I found a late model T/C Patriot on GBkr. Before I received it, I researched the reviews and comments. When I received it, I was surprised at the light weight of the stock but I rushed out and started the renewal process. I use easy off oven cleaner to strip the old finish off the wood. Bad move, the stock was painted, or hydro dipped black plastic. Yes, I know - STUPID< STUPID< STUPID. Still, it gives me a reason to send it to a hydro dip shop and have it redone in my preferred wood.

Good choice for a replacement. Hey, we learn from out mistakes, that's what makes life interesting.

Although plastic/composite stocks make a gun lighter I prefer wood as it has more character than plastic/composite. Each piece of wood, no matter what it is being used for, is basically one of a kind due to grain patterns and species.

Can you explain a "redip" in maple?

Is that like the old wood panel look on 1960's station wagons?

"Although plastic/composite stocks make a gun lighter I prefer wood as it has more character than plastic/composite"

Any idea where the plastic stock came from?

As many folks who have broken their Patriot stocks, there probably is a market for them if folks knew where to find them. Some might even shoot them if they knew they could use plastic and save the wood stock.

For what it's worth, the 1987 Dixie Gun Works catalog shows a TC Patriot pistol for sale. In the discription of the gun, it says:

"...Has a hooked breech, double set triggers, first grade American walnut, adjustable target sights, solid brass trim and a color casehardned lock...."

If Crow-Feather's Patriot had a plastic stock on it, it must have been a replacement stock.

By the way, the TC Patriot was last made in 1987.

It is a shame T/C quit making traditional muzzleloaders, there were some of the best made.

And for those who don't know Smith & Wesson who bought T/C will not honor T/C's lifetime warranty....................

Back in 1979, I saved enough money to buy a TC Hawkins .50 kit. I shot in many a rendezvous shoot and won 1st, 2nd or 3rd in several times. I sold it some time latter to upgrade to a custom flinter, but wished I still had it. I’ve had several TC’s over the years but currently all I have is the Patriot.45 and a new englander shot gun. Speaking of Patriots, I picked it up cheap because it had a small crack in the stock right where most of them break, but I took it to my gunsmith and he fixed it and put a small brass pin in it. Shoots wonderfully now. I think that stack up loading contraption they made for it was also it’s demise

I saw a video where a guy shot a deer with a muzzleloading pistol. Killed it clean.

I always wondered what those muzzleloading pistols were for!

I have two Patriots in .45 cal. The walnut stocks are beautiful. No cracks, no complaints. I do all the loading holding the pistol, no loading stand. :cool: :thumb:

Where do the stocks usually crack? I was guessing probably the tang/grip area? I was thinking of removing the butt cap ,drilling a hole up grip to about under the rear tang and glass bedding in a 1/4 inch piece of all-thread or Hickory doll. Expanding Gorilla glue works really well also as it will fill every void and is water proof.

I have two patriots. The weak spot in the stock is wrist-tang area, as most pistol loading stands only only brace the muzzle and the heel. Ramming a tight ball down puts extreme stress in the unsupported wrist. I made up a very crude stand that has additional support for the wrist below the tang.

Who pre drills for screws? Wood can't crack! LOL

I'm being silly, not drilling a pilot hole most certainly cracks open wood and makes it very difficult to remove the screw later if that ever becomes necessary. I have been doing deck repairs for two years now, to mine and friends' decks. I buy self-drilling screws, drill a pilot hole, and use a countersink bit to open up for the head. Older wood is very likely to crack if the pilot hole is not put in.

"Although plastic/composite stocks make a gun lighter I prefer wood as it has more character than plastic/composite"

As many folks who have broken their Patriot stocks, there probably is a market for them if folks knew where to find them. Some might even shoot them if they knew they could use plastic and save the wood stock.
I bought the pistol online and the seller said that he got it from a Estate Sale. I would assume that the original buyer broke the stock and replaced it. The serial number is 4 digits which makes it way old and the replacement stock was probably made way back when also. I would figure that with the demise of the pistol sales, the plastic/whatever stock maker is also gone.

Starry Maple Hydro Dipping Film – WTP-934 | TWN (This is only to show a maple grain)

There is a great shop in Washington (Northwest Hydrodip) and a great place in florida, (Hydro Print Services). They make stocks that look bad, look great. I have a friend that bought a hydrodipped rifle and people come up to her asking where she bought the wood for the stock. 60.00 for the patriot stock with tons of different woods. This (of course) is not for the standard wood stock, but I could see where a broken and repaired stocks that show the repair might want to replace with a bunch of different woods.

Since my stock was already dipped, it was an easy decision.

this was the pistol when received. Hard to tell that it wasn't wood

Attachments

• patriot.jpg
    patriot.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 132
Back