• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C patent breech?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

good ole boy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Do you guys lube in the p/breech when you lube the barrel?A friend of mine lets his lube ooze down in the breech when he lubes his rifle.I clean real good and lube the barrel but wondered how you guys maintain the breech.

Yes you want to lube but to let to ooze sounds like he's over doing it. Too much lube and you get misfires. I just use a patch with oil on patch holder and run up a down a few times to coat the barrel. Store muzzle down for a few days so excess if any runs out.

If your talking oiling it for storage then yes but if your lubing the patent breech and then putting a charge of powder down then no. Why would you want to put a powder contaminate in the patent breech?

If your using a lube like TC Bore Butter for storage and rust prevention I would change to oil. The Bore Butter is ok for a patch lube but not for rust prevention.

Keep the patent breech clean and dry before putting your charge in and you will have much better ignition and consistent velocity.

I always do a two part process, soap and water for the initial cleaning and then dry and oil. I am told solvents will turn powder residue into unremoveable yuck.

I lightly oil both the bore and the chambered breech after the bore is cleaned and dried.

I clean and oil the chambered breech section with a small patch on the end of a 1/4" hardware store wood dowel.

Cut a slot in the end of the dowel with a thin hack saw blade, round the end a bit, and slip a small patch into the slot. It can be used to clean the chamber, to lightly oil it, and to wipe out any oil with an alcohol patch before loading.

Use a twisting motion on the dowel when inserting it in the chamber and withdrawing it. I've never had the patch come off of the dowel or get stuck in the chamber, and I've done it thousands of times.

That should work too.... :thumbsup:

I also find that If I spray a shot down the barrel immediately followed by a patch on a jag, that the aerosolized preservative will be forced through and out the nipple hole coating everything as it goes..

I like having a patent breech vs. the straight breech plug. It comes in handy if you ever dry ball. You can take the vent liner out and sprinkle some powder in there and fire the ball out.

Another thing about it is the vent liner doesn't need to be filed to fit the inside of the bore and more threads holding the vent with a patent breech.

I also like the fact the main charge gets started from the center of the powder when igniting thru the sub chamber.

It takes a little more to keep it clean but it doesn't bother me. I use a TC breech brush with a patch on it. An alcohol patch will clean and dry it so there is no problem with fouling or ignition.

And yes I use an oiled patch to reach in there for storage. I used bore butter when I started in the 70's but got rid of it quick. Better options for lube and rust prevention.

Critter Getter said:
Does anyone just have a machine shop drill out the patent breech? Greg

That was done on my Traditions conversion to .46 bore flinter.
Way way much more better.

When drilling out the breech plug you want to make sure there is enough wall thickness to give you a strong thread. Boring out too large could be a real danger! :idunno:

I have had many TC's since my first in 1980. I haven't ever had a problem with a patent breech so not going to start worrying about it now. Heck, until I joined this forum I never even knew what a patent breech was!! Greg. :)

Critter Getter said:
I have had many TC's since my first in 1980. I haven't ever had a problem with a patent breech so not going to start worrying about it now. Heck, until I joined this forum I never even knew what a patent breech was!! Greg. :)

Same her except with the CVAs.

One of my first TC guns with the patent breech gave me fits until I got down in there and kept it clean. The dang gun would shoot great for the first couple of shots then wham I would get a flier. I couldn't figure out what was going on with that dang barrel.

Well eventually I started cleaning that patent breech and shot after shot produced no more fliers. I was pushing fouling in there when swabbing between shots and the slight delay in ignition was causing me move off the bull. I couldn't sense I was doing it or notice the delay but it was enough to throw the shot.

Not only did I learn I needed to keep that patent breech clean for my best accuracy but I also learned the need of a proper sized cleaning jag and cleaning patch thickness to pull out fouling rather than push it down the bore into the breech.

I named that TC PA Hunter rifle Eureka after I discovered it's weakness. I have a 21"carbine barrel for the same stock that has the 1/66 twist as well and it's got a bigger bore than the other. Went to a .495 ball with 80 grains of 2f which is enough to upset the ball a little and it's plenty accurate; I call it Little Poison.

Back