• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C PA Hunter Changes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If I recall correctly Thompson Center's Pennsylvania Hunter flintlock originally had a 31" or 32" octagon to round barrel with a 1 in 66" twist, there was a 21" carbine version as well. Later models had a full octagon barrel about 28" in length and a came with a factory recoil pad although I've never seen a carbine model with these features. I'm not sure if this later version had the original 1 in 66" twist or a 1 in 48" barrel.

Does anyone have input or knowledge about these changes?

Don't take it as absolute, but I have been told the full octagon barrels were an attempt to use up some left over Hawken barrels - or to make up for the lack of PA Hunter barrels. I am not sure which twist they had, but if that information is true, it was probably the 1-48" twist. I do know that some - but not all - of the later versions with either barrel do have the QLA feature.

Here is some information I have found on the internet concerning the lengths and twist of PA's. Don't know the original author to give credit.

\\\\ PENNSYLVANIA HUNTER

50 (DEEP BUTTON) 28 & 21 Oct 1:48 RH

50 (CUT) 1:48 RH

50 (DEEP BUTTON) 1:66 RH

\\\\ PENNSYLVANIA MATCH HUNTER

50 (CUT) 1:66 RH

The octagon to round PA Hunter (rifle) barrel is 31".

Another change is the trigger or more specifically the trigger sear bar. The early versions appear to have a trigger bar that is split w/ the sear going between the two pieces - no spring. The later version is a solid bar w/ a spring. The early version has the tang mounted by two wood screws and the later has the front tang screw as a machine screw that comes thru the stock and screws into the trigger assembly.

Besides the 31in octagon to round and the carbine versions I believe at one point they also had a 32in full octagon. And the later 28in barrels were the same as Hawken barrels only roll-marked with 'Pennsylvania Hunter' instead of 'Hawken'. The carbine version was basically a White Mountain carbine with a roundball twist barrel. And the Pennsylvania Match rifle was just the Hunter with better sights and different roll-mark.

Like bubba.50 stated, in 1999 T/C offered the Pennsylvania Hunter with the full octagon in 28 inch barrel with 1:66 twist.
The carbine was also full octagon for that year. Those guns also came with a recoil pad instead of the steel butt plate.

Just a heads up. I am going to be listing two of the Oct./Round 31" ones here hopefully starting this afternoon. I am concentrating only on the flintlock model for a while.

Latest posts

Back