• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C New Englander

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steel Hayes

Collector of cheap antiquities
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
0DFEBFE8-84C0-4815-9E08-059B90AA4465.jpeg
Recently picked this one up at auction, and on its way to me.
I’m familiar with muzzle loaded shotguns and looking forward to a single barrel Fowler.
I have little knowledge about T/C Arms, fill me in on the pro’s and con’s of this gun?

Well sir, it depends on if you got one with a cylinder bore or one with a screw-in choke.

They are kinda-sorta like an English Sporting Rifle , when rifled, and sorta like an English shotgun (but shorter) with the smoothbore barrel.

They are 12 gauge, and being caplock work fine for upland birds, rabbits, squirrels. OK for ducks but perhaps a bit light on geese, and fine for turkey. You can use either 2Fg or 3Fg, and you will need some fiber wads. You may need to use a little heavier amount of shot, and be closer if it's cylinder bore, than if it's a choked barrel, that's all.

They are pretty handy little guns. You should enjoy it a lot.

LD

You will need wads, but no "need" for those fiber wads sold as "cushion wads."
Those are fine for the Skychief load, other than that, about useless.
....I’m familiar with muzzle loaded shotguns.....
Really this shouldn't be much different to you. You're just dealing with one barrel instead of two.

No disrespect to Dave but nope, you don't need fibre wads and if you do use them put them on top of the shot dripping in olive oil.
Three over shot cards on the powder is plenty for any man. 👍

WOW so the UK method requires MATH...., mine is one load, one wad, shot, one wad.... 👼

LD

Try upping your charge some where in the 70- 90 grain 2F range. They were designed after New England buck and ball smooth bores. You will love it. The Choked models are way better than ones without chokes. Good Hunting!
Nit Wit

Back