• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westwest

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I bought a TC hawken flintlock. Shoots real well and did not misfire at all . I shot 1 lb of ffg and only thing I had to do is make sure the flint was sharp and clean the pan and touch hole. I am quite pleased with the TC hawken. I also like the lyman great plains have yet to shoot one but will probably add one to me arsenal.

Only problem with firing the flintlocks were young punks at the range talking **** about how slow it loads and that the ammo looks like slingshot balls etc. I shut them up after loading many 120 grains and 380 minnie conicals. they moved over a few tables after I smoked em out . :rotf:

westwest said:
Well I bought a TC hawken flintlock. Shoots real well and did not misfire at all . I shot 1 lb of ffg and only thing I had to do is make sure the flint was sharp and clean the pan and touch hole. I am quite pleased with the TC hawken. I also like the lyman great plains have yet to shoot one but will probably add one to me arsenal.

Only problem with firing the flintlocks were young punks at the range talking **** about how slow it loads and that the ammo looks like slingshot balls etc. I shut them up after loading many 120 grains and 380 minnie conicals. they moved over a few tables after I smoked em out . :rotf:
Bet you out-shot 'em too! :thumbsup: :applause:
Illegitimi non carborundum! :haha:

:hatsoff:

I prefer the projectiles that look like slingshot balls. Who cares what the teeny-boppers think? We'd be wearing "hoodies" with our pants around our knees if we lived to their tastes.

No appreciation of finesse 'till you've weathered a few winters. :wink:

That reminds me of the time I was out in flinter season on a friends adjoining property. I am walking down this tractor trail when I bump into the land owners kids that are out getting ready to shoot some cans with 22 rifles. Anyway while I am talking to them up comes 3 doe that stop at about 65 yards and I pull up a dump one; those kids couldn't keep their hands off that rifle and must of asked a thousand questions while I field dressed that deer.

That would have been a good time to let them shoot a couple of rounds through it...A month ago I was at the range and 4 young men were there having fun with the rifles ..These boys behaved..I unpacked and started shooting...they started to gather around when they saw my shootnc targets turning yellow. after some questions& answers they ..all wanted to shoot the flintlock...surprisingly they all hit close to the target and enjoyed the experience...They enjoyed the flash in the pan and the set trigger....I try to expose the next generation to Black powder when ever I can.

I agree. Have you noticed that we are mostly over 50 on this forum? Getting younger people involved is a must if this hobby/sport is to survive.

I use to belong to a range that required all flinters to call out "flint" before pulling the trigger as a warning to the shooter next to you. I was shooting one day and the range was empty. These guys set up at the firing point just right of me. They were shooting a .300 ??? Mag and was killing me with the shock waves. I had my .45 Blue Ridge, so I loaded a .45 cal REAL on top of 100 grains of FFFg and gave the warning. These guys just laughed at me until I pulled the trigger. They were hit by the flame coming out of my touch hole and covered with smoke. They complained to the range master, but he told them, "I heard the warning". These guys left, post haste. The range master was a member of the muzzleloading club I belonged to and was the person who got me into flintlocks.

A shooting range is NO place for jerks. I pay close attention whenever a group (they always seem to travel in herds) descends on the pistol range I frequent. The first time I get a laser, I'm gone.

this is why i dont shoot at club anymore.i built my own range.it is real quite ,i used to like to talk to others but i now like all the quite i get at my own range......
i tried to get members to put targets on a clothes line so no one needs to walk to target .you would not believe times that people walked out in front of me ready too shoot.they talk and laugh and i cant concentrate like that.

westwest said:
I am quite pleased with the TC hawken. I also like the lyman great plains have yet to shoot one but will probably add one to me arsenal.

I've got both, along with prominent cheek bones. I find one notable difference between them. The comb on TC's are real high, perhaps in the original design to allow folks to use scopes on them. Whatever the case, shooting stiff loads in the TC whacks the holy snot out of my cheek bone.

The lower comb on the Lyman has never been a problem. Most other styles of ML stocks don't bother me either, so that high comb is a clear TC trait in my book.

We'd be wearing "hoodies" with our pants around our knees if we lived to their tastes.

And holding our handguns sideways while holding onto our crotch with the other hand. :idunno:

Glad the gun shoots good for ya!!!!!Enjoy!!

OldPuppyMax said:
A shooting range is NO place for jerks. I pay close attention whenever a group (they always seem to travel in herds) descends on the pistol range I frequent. The first time I get a laser, I'm gone.

We had a nice pistol and rifle range east of Houston years ago. It was built out the back door of an icehouse. Very nice on hot summer days. It finally had to go as times changed, IQ's were lowered, herd mentality replaced initiative. Oh, yeah, and there was that time with the neighboring dog being shot by a uh, novice laying a loaded rifle down on the 100yard benches. Reckon that dog may have saved someones life.

At home is better. In the backyard only my wife has a laser.

Still laughing. Reminds me of my experience with the t.v. crews filming at a rendezvous. Camera man was up close for a "tight shot" of my flinter. I gave the warning, looked at him, said he might want to move back, he came back with a smart a** remark, I nodded and touched it off. After he got done slapping the fire out of his facial hairs, he picked up his camera and left. The wife said I did not make the news that night.

flinter1840 said:
After he got done slapping the fire out of his facial hairs, he picked up his camera and left. The wife said I did not make the news that night.

Too bad there wasn't a second camera. I bet THAT footage would have made the news! :rotf:

ozark57 said:
I agree. Have you noticed that we are mostly over 50 on this forum? Getting younger people involved is a must if this hobby/sport is to survive.

I was one of those youngsters ten years back. All I cared about being in the Navy Sea Cadets was rate of fire, penetration, and quick sighting. My uncle took me to the range in Chino, Ca. He set us up and told me "now, I'm going to teach you right."

I figured what could my uncle know over a Master Chief?! Boy was I shocked. Out he pulls a 34 inch barreled flinter. Sets it up and places the target out about 150 yards.

With how I had been taught on M1s and M4 was just point and shoot. I couldn't hit anything and I figured that was proof right there that our weapons have "advanced" and told him so. See, I was 16 and thought I knew the world.

He then set up the elevation, set the double trigger, which I never did, and then popped the bulls-eye!

He then looks at me, "See, you've got to finesse these fine weapons, treat them like you would a fine lady."

So I took it up, and he taught me the joys of elevation and windage.

At the end of the day he looked at me and smiled. "You liked that huh?"

Of course I had a grin on that you could see all the way from Kansas.

He then just smiled, a tear falling from his eyes. "That rifle was what defended our home in Kansas from all sorts of problems in the late 1800s. It's also what we first made money off of in Massachusetts when our family first got here right after the birth of this fine nation. See that rifle is almost as old as the United States is. Just refinished and upkept from time to time."

I was in shock.

My uncle died about six months later, in his will he gave me the rifle.

Now, after serving my time, doing a couple tours in the dustbowl and those middle-east versions of the Rockies, all I want to do is play with windage and elevation.

For all I know, Billy Dixon, my great-grand uncle could have learned those traits on my same rifle.

Fair winds and following seas :thumbsup:

I'll try to get my generation to look into this all I can.

Fossil Hunter said:
We'd be wearing "hoodies" with our pants around our knees if we lived to their tastes.

And holding our handguns sideways while holding onto our crotch with the other hand. :idunno:

Glad the gun shoots good for ya!!!!!Enjoy!!
I had a little run in with those sideways shootin boys when I had my 40 cal Green Mt TC at the range they couldnt see the holes I was punchin at 100 yards as they were taking turns shootin at a soda can about 10 yards out on the grass
I offered them a target to parctice and then sugested the best target could take both guns home when they walked out to post the target and looked at mine they changed there minds and then wanted to see my rifle and ask questions

I had a guy I know that offered to sell me a TC Hawken, that was spotless and like it just came out of the box, for $300 back around 2003. I've been trying to get a hold of him to tell him I am ready to buy it now. :doh:

ozark57 said:

I ain't nowhere near 50! :blah: :hatsoff:

Latest posts

Back