• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/c Hawken with 1/66 round ball barrel loads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micsputnik

32 Cal
Reaction score
I am new to the site but after 30 years going to pull the Hawken round baller out and try to use it. Anyone have suggestions on a load and other tips. I have forgot most of what I used to know on it.

I believe the T/C Hawkens are 1/48. Someone will correct me if I’m wrong.

I’d start with a .490 ball and a .015 patch. Moving up to a .018 or even a .020 if necessary.

I’d recommend starting around 70 grains of powder and working my way up from there

I bought a T/C Pennsylvania Hunter .50 Cal. from BruceHH, one of his match rifles with a 1/66" barrel. He stated an accurate load for the rifle was a .490 ball, .10 patch, and 65 gr of 3F, very accurate load. T/C did make Hawkens with 1/66" barrels, and many are marked "1-66" on the barrel.

The hawken did come with a 1/48 barrel which I sold and I bought a 1/66 that I knew had a fox in the name of it. So you are correct and it does say 1/66 on the barrel. This was back in the 80s I think.

and other tips.
Well like all of them your going to have to experiment.
There will be no "magic load combo" to be found in mid October for the upcoming November Deer hunting season.
You could start now for next year, ;)
The slow twists tend to like a tighter patch/ball combination and are more likely to give you two or more found balanced loads for accuracy.
One with a low charge and one with a higher charge.
You should try both .490 and .495 ball and both will need patch .015 or thicker like tom_in_vt said, your chances will be better in the .018-.020 range.
Starting at 70grns is a little high, I'd start at 60 and work each patch thickness variable in 5grn increments.
It's going to take some range time and shooting to get it right.
Don't forget to properly seat the powder charge and be sure to keep the nipple clean.
You should be able to dial it in sweet with only 150-200 rounds.
Need more?

I am new to the site but after 30 years going to pull the Hawken round baller out and try to use it. Anyone have suggestions on a load and other tips. I have forgot most of what I used to know on it.

1/66 is not a normal TC twist.
If it has 1/66 twist, you can use just about any powder charge in it. 100 grns GOEX is great for deer hunting. 60 for targets at up to 50 yds.

My wife's shot very well with 70gr of 3F, pillow ticking with spit lube, and .495 round ball. It was a Sharon 1/66 twist barrel.
That is exactly what I shoot, but my Hawken has 1-48 twist. It has Lyman 17 front and 57 rear sights and shoots one ragged hole at 50yds. I love to prove peeps wrong at the range when they come up and tell that the 1-48 twist is just for conicals!!

I have one of the 1:66 50cal for my Renegade. .490 ball, pillow ticking patch, and 95gr 2F Goex. It is a deer hunting load but shoots like a target load at 50yds. Best shooting 50cal I have. DANNY

Start at 70 grains of Goex FFF, and work from there .
My Hawkens likes 60 grains but the renegade prefers 70. Depends on patches alot.

My Pennsylvania Hunter ( .50 1-66) likes 70 grains Swiss 3f a .490 ball and an Ox Yoke .015 prelubed. I also put an Ox Yoke .54/56 wad overpowder. Inch 3 round groups at 50 yards and patches are almost reuseable.
Flintlock btw.

Back