• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken value

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynabase

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a chance to purchase a T/C Hawken in near new condition. 50 cal, plane stock (i.e. - no patch box etc). I know the answer is somewhat regional but what would be a reasonable price to pay for it?

If it doesn't have a patchbox & brass furniture it's not a Hawken. If it has double-set triggers it's a Renegade. If it's single trigger it could be a Renegade or White Mountain Carbine or similar model.

If it is a Hawken, depending on condition, 250 to maybe 400. A Renegade or White Mountain, 200 to 300.

And let me be the first to say it. Pictures, pictures, pictures. They would be a big help in more accurately answering your question.

@bubba.50 has it correct. If there is no patchbox, it's not a T/C Hawken.

With the one exception being the Hawken Custom from TC's Fox Ridge custom shop and the odds on finding one of those for sale is just about the same as finding a dinosaur nest in your back yard next to the cabbage patch.

Live and learn. It was advertised as a Hawken but thanks to you guys I see now that it is a Renegade. Sorry I don't have pictures because it is not in my possession yet. I am just getting into this so I have everything to learn. One question is the only difference between the Renegade and the Hawken the stock? Is the barrel and percussion lock the same?

The Renegade has 1" across the flats barrel. The T/C Hawken 50 and 45 calibers have a 15/16" across the flats barrel. Both have a 1 in 48" twist rifling with shallow button rifled grooves. If I remember correctly, the Renegade may have a shorter barrel. They should have the same lock and triggers.

I believe Renegades had 26" barrels vs the Hawkens 28" barrel, and all blued steel furniture, as well as a flat, shotgun type butt. The Renegades also didnt have a cheekpiece on the stock.

If you google images of each you should be able to start recognizing the differences.

FWIW, the Hawken looks more old time with the crescent butt, but Ive come to like the flat type butt quite a lot more for fitting me and general handlng and shooting. The TC Hawken crescent isnt as hard to work for me as many traditional crescent butts, but its still not as easy to shoulder and comfortable to me, as the flat type.

Last edited:
The Hawken & Seneca's had a brass forend tip; the Renegade & Cherokee's had no brass tip, just the front end of the fore stock shaped a little smaller than the main stock.

Here are the two different forend treatments:

RQBIoIdl.jpg

How does the trigger guard differ on the Seneca/Cherokee vs. the Hawken? Or are they the same?

Cherokee & Seneca have their own triggerguard. Plus there was a single trigger Cherokee that had a completely different guard all its own.

Hawken & Renegade guards will interchange with each other with the only difference bein' one's brass & the other steel.

And as a side note, although the guards differ between models, TC used the same triggers in all their double-set trigger models.

Thanks Bubba. How long are the Seneca/ Cherokee guards. Im asking as I got a lot with a few guards and buttplates. Im sure one set of each is for the earliest TC Hawkin, as I had one to match up. However one trigger guard is much shorter and just going by pictures would appear to be for a Seneca style. I really have no need for either so probably resell them, but want to be sure of what they are for.
9AA8A020-602B-4ADF-A091-08E261574048.jpeg8B3CEDAD-744D-4107-B518-4B534F16F799.jpeg6A36F9FD-3890-42C1-9808-D30C710FB438.jpeg

That looks like a Seneca guard but if it was factory it should have the screw holes drilled. I don't have one to measure the guard. Somebody'll likely let ya know in a bit.

Back