• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken - To Build or Not To Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wseidel

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Fairly new to the forum and I've learned so much in a short period of time...thank you. I built a TC Hawken 50 caliber percussion 41 years ago and loved both the process and the completed rifle (which I cherish). I would like to get back into muzzleloading and I recently came across another identical kit from the late 70's. I'm debating whether to build it this winter or sell it and purchase another rifle (not a kit) in a different caliber...likely 54 caliber.

Thoughts?

What is a realistic value on the kit if I decide to sell it?

20201114_153010.jpg

Stock looks really nice from the pic I have seen a similar kit go as high as 700 online. I would not accept any lower than 500. Lots of folks want these unbuilt kits so they can add personal touches to them. Good luck whatever you decide.

What good is it if no one completes it and shoots it? If you don’t want to build it sell it to someone who will.

My opinion and you’re welcome to it.

As Bassdog 1 noted the kits seem to bring a bunch of money. You have a several options. If you don't plan on ever selling it, go ahead and build it if you want the experience. Second, sell it and buy a nicer completed gun. Third, sell it and put the money towards a better quality kit. It all really comes down to personal interest.

Thank you, Bassdog1, Kansas Jake, and Bubba.50. Good to know an accurate estimate of value. Given that value, I'm leaning towards selling it and buying a completed rifle. And, yes, I agree that the kit needs to be built and the rifle used. :)

As Bassdog 1 noted the kits seem to bring a bunch of money. You have a several options. If you don't plan on ever selling it, go ahead and build it if you want the experience. Second, sell it and buy a nicer completed gun. Third, sell it and put the money towards a better quality kit. It all really comes down to personal interest.
I think that is exactly what wseidel says he is wondering about doing in the original post.
He's asking what a fair price for the kit would be if he decides to sell it.
Like Bassdog1 says, the kit might be worth more than a finished gun would be because some people want to build one of these TC Hawkens from the ground up so they can make it like they want it.

The kit is indeed probably worth more. I have bought several kit stocks over the years and they are typically worth less money than factory finished guns. Its not that the stock was not finished right. It just had the K on the stock inlet. I think all my rifles are K stocks.

I don't know the thinking of kits going for less. I know they do but I would consider how well it was put together. To me if they did a better than factory job, then it is worth more. If not so good then of coarse less. If you aren't planning on shooting it, I'd just sell it as is. You might look at the Kimber kits. They are very nice.

An old, very old, TC Hawken kit was found in my dad's closet when he went to assisted living. My brother offered it to me for free but because my dad was always a little short on money I looked up what kits were going for online on Gunbroker, $300 3 or 4 years ago. I put this amount of money in my dad's banking account.

Your kit is newer and in much better shape than the one I put together, the lock had to have the sear spring milled out because it had rusted into a solid mass.

I looked up TC kit pictures on google and found most are slopped together and generally poorly done. having done several scratch builds I put my kit together with care, it came out a cut above the rest.

Your kit is in such pristine shape I would suspect a TC collector would love to have it as is and not plan to put it together.

My kit was rough by modern standards an took some gunsmithing skills to finish.
hawken kit 001.JPG

I've seen a number of TC kits put together where the assembler simply sanded and applied a coat of finish. The edges were rounded off around the lock and side panel and other parts not well finished. To me those are kit guns that need refinished and are subpar compare a well made kit or a factory finished gun. Consequently, many folks feel a kit gun is lower quality and lower priced.

All of Thompson Center's walnut items were made at a mill in Perry, Kansas. If you look it up on goggle earth the mill was on the west side, north of the road and near the bridge. As that kit started as a Kansas product I'd build it.st

By the way, you should have seen the drop dead geargeous stocks they had hanging on the walls. They were probably worth hundreds of dollars each. They wouldn't sell me one. They were reserved.

The walnut stock is this kit is excellent. When I selected the one I built 41 years ago, I went through a number of boxes to get the perfect stock. This one is every bit as good as that one - straight grained, beautiful color, no imperfections.

Back