• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello! I'm wanting to restock my Hawken with a curly maple stock. I don't have a lot of experience but I feel I have enough to do this project. Track doesn't have their fancy maple stock in stock. Is there another place that offers an inletted & pre-carved stock like Track offers? Thanks!

Ok. I've got a stock ordered. Is there an alternative to aqua fortis to drawing the figure out of a maple stock?

Using lye water to increase the contrast between the stripes and the areas between them will improve the looks of the finished stock. This works with either aqua fortis or with alcohol based stains.

I learned long ago not to use oil based stains on stocks. They are almost impossible to adjust the color on after the oil has saturated the wood.
That is why, on these Pecatonica River stocks, I used either water based or alcohol based stains.

maplestripesweb.jpg

pecontic river this is and and full length 28 AND IT MAKES IT FEEL SHORT

Attachments

• 10547095_1461835747414282_5075085688010022613_o.jpg
    10547095_1461835747414282_5075085688010022613_o.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 104
Zonie, do you use anything over the stain?
Yes.
The stain only colors the wood. It does not protect it so, I use Birchwood Casey Tru Oil on all of those guns.
The number of coats varies but it usually ranges from 12 to 15 coats to build up some thickness.

Back