• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken Replacement Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I my be wrong but there is no such animal as a fully inletted aftermarket stock, all TCs are a little different and what may be easy to fit one gun in may be a nightmare to fit a different gun in.

I looked on ebay and found one broken up renegade stock and a few hawkens with everything but the barrel. They are going really high at around $175.

Your stock isn't that bad, I would repair it. If you put another $150 in a $250 gun you still have a $250 gun.

"The Thompson replacement stock is available only for the Hawken and Renegade models, in all woods and only in what we call our 98% inlet form."
http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml

That's not to say there is still not a lot of work to be done. See Zonie's post

The TC stock sold by Pecatonica River is not a simple, "drop in the barrel and screw the other pieces on" sort of thing some hope it will be.
There is a bit of work to get everything installed and the wood slimmed down and finished. (There is quite a lot of extra wood on the stock blank and it should be removed to keep the gun from looking heavy and bulky.)

One real advantage of the Pecatonica River stock is the drop at the heel of the stock.
The TC stocks have very little drop which results in the shooter needing to hunker his head down to get the sights to line up with his eye.
The PR stock has a drop of 3 inches which results in the sights almost automatically lining up with your eye when you bring the gun up to shoot.
If you buy the lowest cost Maple half stock the present cost of the PR stock amounts to about $125 which is pretty cheap IMO.

A link to the PR TC stock

This is my version of the PR TC stock in CM 1 wood. I cast the nose cap rather than using the TC cap which explains why it looks different.

View attachment 1278
Very Nice work, Thanks for the info.
MikeW

The TC stock sold by Pecatonica River is not a simple, "drop in the barrel and screw the other pieces on" sort of thing some hope it will be.
There is a bit of work to get everything installed and the wood slimmed down and finished. (There is quite a lot of extra wood on the stock blank and it should be removed to keep the gun from looking heavy and bulky.)

One real advantage of the Pecatonica River stock is the drop at the heel of the stock.
The TC stocks have very little drop which results in the shooter needing to hunker his head down to get the sights to line up with his eye.
The PR stock has a drop of 3 inches which results in the sights almost automatically lining up with your eye when you bring the gun up to shoot.
If you buy the lowest cost Maple half stock the present cost of the PR stock amounts to about $125 which is pretty cheap IMO.

A link to the PR TC stock

This is my version of the PR TC stock in CM 1 wood. I cast the nose cap rather than using the TC cap which explains why it looks different.

View attachment 1278
I am curious about that rear mounted peep sight. What is it and where did you get it?
Thanks,
MikeW

I’m not zonie but, that’s the T/C peep sight which is no longer available & goes for stupid-high prices when ya find one on evil-bay. A rock solid sight but not readily adjustable. Both Weaver & Lyman sell a good peep for T/C’s and one can be had for less than 100 bucks.

the number of the sight is 7194; the older vernier tang sight is 7190 the globe front sight that goes with it is 7210. they are up for sale most of the time on ebay I got the pictures reversed
s-l225.jpg
s-l225.jpg

I am curious about that rear mounted peep sight. What is it and where did you get it?
Thanks,
MikeW
As Bubba 50 said, it is a Thompson Center peep sight and they aren't made any more.
It was made to be used with the standard TC front sight and if one is installed, that big glob of an adjustable site the gun comes with must be removed.

The T/C tang sight, I have found, comes in two versions. One has a flat base and mounts to the flat portion at the rear of the tang. The other has a slightly curved base and mounts forward over the curved portion of the tang. The difference isn't much. They do show up on ebay and aren't cheap, but prices vary and occasionally get a good deal.

Back