• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Replacement Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a T/C Hawken 50cal (15/16") Serial# 228xxxThe stock is damaged from previous owner and I'm looking for a replacement before I purchase a new stock from a dealer.
Thanks,
MikeJW

How about a pic? What kind of damage? The rifle is not a highly valuable item so you might be better off just repairing the stock. Even if it is a bit unsightly that would be no great loss. Unless you find a used one, like on Ebay, the expense of a replacement might outweigh it's worth. Post a pic so we can give more specific advice.

As you can see, there is a large splinter missing from the top of the stock, plus the cracks in the stock in front of the lock.
MikeJW

GEDC0174.JPG GEDC0178.JPG

You can find used stocks for sale like was mentioned on ebay and sometimes gunbroker. But I have done so much wood work and wood repairing that I would try to run up a piece of walnut and just splice in a repair. Thats how old time gunsmiths would have done it. I bought a 98 Mauser from Aim Surplus and it had 9 or 1 spliced in repairs to that old stock. Worked fine.

You would need to refinish the stock to make the repair close to invisible. But you will end up with a better finish than from the factory.

You see that RC model in my avitar. I fly and build and design model planes. Every once in a while I wad one up. Most of the times they can be rebuilt and recovered to match. Most of the time the front of the fuselage (body) is wrecked in the nose to the wing. Use the plans and cut out new parts and cut out the damaged area and splice together. Almost anything can be repaired and rebuilt with a little patience.

I believe TOTW has replacement stocks which need inletting work. I thought someone might have a used one laying around they would want to sell.
MikeJW

As you can see, there is a large splinter missing from the top of the stock, plus the cracks in the stock in front of the lock.
MikeJW

View attachment 498 View attachment 499

Not worth fretting over IMHO. Sand down or ignore. Beauty marks. Take off any sharp edges where splinters might be possible then keep shooting and enjoy.

If it's a shooter and don't care about looks fix it.

I've had good luck on ebay. Both bare TC stocks and TC stocks with all hardware besides barrel. Most of those ended up with GM barrels and Davis triggers.

If you want a nicer stock that's already nearly fully inletted try PECATONICA RIVER:

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml

I my be wrong but there is no such animal as a fully inletted aftermarket stock, all TCs are a little different and what may be easy to fit one gun in may be a nightmare to fit a different gun in.

I looked on ebay and found one broken up renegade stock and a few hawkens with everything but the barrel. They are going really high at around $175.

Your stock isn't that bad, I would repair it. If you put another $150 in a $250 gun you still have a $250 gun.

The damage doesn't look too bad at all to me. Some filler, or maybe just sanding and refinishing should take care of it with less work (and expense) than fitting a replacement stock.

Not to be a contrarian, but in the end you might like the fit of the aftermarket TC stock. I'm pretty sure the TOW stock is supplied by Pecatonica. Pecatonica has it on their site and can probably tell you a lot more about it. Not sure about pricing either way though.

Advice about repairs or ignoring the problem is good. Have you ever seen a true antique muzzloader that didnt have similar problems? However if you absolutely want a replacement stock go to Pecatonica. You will be very, very happy you did. Stocks on ebay can be way over priced, and prices seem to be going up all the time, about the rate of student loan debt. What you could have paid for anT/C on ebay three years ago has about doubled today. Now I think I stole an incredibly beautifle stock on ebay a few years back. The starting price for it today would probably be $300 and out of my price range.

I appreciate all your input. This is a hunting rifle. I am attempting to repair but have discovered a crack running through the stock as if dropped by a previous owner and glued. I will continue to apply my basic repair knowledge and refinish the stock as a hunting rifle. I will undoubtedly replace at a later date.
My thanks again.

The TC stock sold by Pecatonica River is not a simple, "drop in the barrel and screw the other pieces on" sort of thing some hope it will be.
There is a bit of work to get everything installed and the wood slimmed down and finished. (There is quite a lot of extra wood on the stock blank and it should be removed to keep the gun from looking heavy and bulky.)

One real advantage of the Pecatonica River stock is the drop at the heel of the stock.
The TC stocks have very little drop which results in the shooter needing to hunker his head down to get the sights to line up with his eye.
The PR stock has a drop of 3 inches which results in the sights almost automatically lining up with your eye when you bring the gun up to shoot.
If you buy the lowest cost Maple half stock the present cost of the PR stock amounts to about $125 which is pretty cheap IMO.

A link to the PR TC stock

http://www.longrifles-pr.com/thompsoncenter.shtml

This is my version of the PR TC stock in CM 1 wood. I cast the nose cap rather than using the TC cap which explains why it looks different.

TC2.jpg

Back