• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken load info

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodneyA

32 Cal
Reaction score
I’m going to try my T/C Hawken 50 out this week and was looking for a good starting point for powder load. Cap and round ball real black powder. Looking for something that will be a good hunting load

Thanks for any help

And that is grains by volume right ?
Yes. Always best to go by volume, although the weight by volume will be the same as the actual weight of real backpowder, plus or minus a bit depending on tolerance/accuracy of your volume measure. With any of the substitute powders (Pyrodex or T7 for example) always use the volume measurement. They are designed to be a substitute for blackpowder by volume, not weight.

@RodneyA

Good decision to use real black powder.

You will also need 100% cotton patches that are at least 0.015" thick.

Since you are hunting you want an oil based patch lubricant. The best for hunting will be Track of the Wolf's Mink Oil. Spit and other water based lubricants can cause corrosion at the breech.

I have a TC Hawken in 50 and over the years I’ve had good luck with 50 grains as a plinking load and 80 grains for hunting so the starting point of 60-65 grains will give deer sized game accuracy to about 100 yards without much trouble if you know where to hold and know your gun.

From the horse's mouth: (the black asterisk indicates the most accurate load)

LvWRh2yl.jpg

4qJTID4l.jpg

y5TAwEXl.jpg

All good advice here. Every BP gun is different. 2 TC Hawkin rifles might like different loads. After much experimenting mine likes 60 gr by volume 2F with a 20 thousandth patch and 490 ball. Yours might prefer 50 or 70 gr with a 10 thousandth patch and 495 ball. Lube also makes a difference. Mine likes a liquid lube. Yours may prefer grease. Keep experimenting. It's all part of the fun.

A 70 to 90 grain measure of pyrodex behind a well-lubed maxi-ball or Lee real bullet.

This is really interesting. I grew up shooting 100 of FF with a patched round ball. I’ll have to play around with lighter charges.

Both my T/C Hawken`s are happy with 90 Grains powder, .495ball and a olive oil lubed Ticking patch. That is actually the load all my 50 cals like though the Lyman GPR likes a thicker patch.

Back