• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken in .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking to add a brand new unfired T/C Hawken .45 to my collection. Has anybody shot one with rb? I know the 1-48 twist is supposed to be compatible with both rb and maxi-balls, but will it shoot the Lee REAL bullet? It will ne a combination target and hunting rifle.

I shoot one regularly. It's pleasant to shoot and is an accurate shooter. It is loaded with a 445 ball, 45 grains of 3f and a Joanne's #40 drill patch.

I have two. Great shooters with both rb and maxi ball / maxi hunter. Have never tried the Real bullets. Very happy with my TC .45’s!! Greg

"Anybody know where I can purchase a 45 Cal Hawken at a reasonable price?"

Get a beater in 50. Buy a Green Mountian barrel blank. Swap the TC parts over. This will require removing the breech plug without damaging it. A TC wrench or similar is necessary, as is a real barrel vice. Re-tap the GM blank to the TC goofie threads. Install the plug. Swap over the rib, wedge slot, and sights. Blue. A competent gunsmith should be able to do this. A careful hobby smith should have no problems either. Bubba with a crescent wrench and machinist vice will botch it and ruin the plug and barrel.

After sorting the barrel. The wood can be reshaped to a more traditional contour. Excluding gunsmith services it should be do-able for $350.

Are they really that scarce?? I haven’t looked for awhile but that seems like a lot of effort when a person really ought to be able to find a factory .45 ready to rock n’ roll. Greg

I have a .45 caliber Hawken that I bought in 1983. It came in kit form. That was my introduction to the wonderful world of muzzle loaders and black powder. The .45 is a good shooter. Lately, the rifle has been used to introduce women to muzzle loading firearms through NRA's Women on Target program that is conducted at my rifle/pistol club.

Yup....Joined the forum about 4 days ago and saw that very 45 Cal for sale. Tried to buy it but the seller already had a commitment from a buyer. Anyway, trying to find a good used one for about $300-325. Is this unrealistic? I'll keep looking.

Cobra 6

Not unrealistic if you are patient and do allot of searching. Took me awhile to find a 36 in my budget range. I gave up for awhile cause several deals fell through before I finally got one. Look often because it will probably go fast. Look on other forums too and maybe post a WTB.

"Anybody know where I can purchase a 45 Cal Hawken at a reasonable price?"

Get a beater in 50. Buy a Green Mountian barrel blank. Swap the TC parts over. This will require removing the breech plug without damaging it. A TC wrench or similar is necessary, as is a real barrel vice. Re-tap the GM blank to the TC goofie threads. Install the plug. Swap over the rib, wedge slot, and sights. Blue. A competent gunsmith should be able to do this. A careful hobby smith should have no problems either. Bubba with a crescent wrench and machinist vice will botch it and ruin the plug and barrel.

After sorting the barrel. The wood can be reshaped to a more traditional contour. Excluding gunsmith services it should be do-able for $350.

Or, send the 50 barrel to Hoyt and have him bore it to a 54. Then purchase everything you need to put your own 45 barrel together. Will run about $270. For about $400 you would have a great combo.

TKS...... for the constructive replies. Can a 15/16 50 Cal barrel be re-bored to a 54 Cal? Does it need be a 1inch across the flats?

Cobra 6
The rebore will depend on the depth of any screw holes in the barrel. You want 0.100" barrel thickness between the bottom of the screw hole and the bottom of the groove.

50 to 54 cal rebore, It also depends on what the plug threads are. You want some shoulder for it to make a seal. Bobby Hoyt can answer the question.

He rebores tc 50 cal to 54 without problem unless someone has drilled it post factory too deep. None of the tc factory work would preclude it. He doesn't remove the breech plug to rebore it.

He rebores tc 50 cal to 54 without problem unless someone has drilled it post factory too deep. None of the tc factory work would preclude it. He doesn't remove the breech plug to rebore it.
Bobby Hoyt told me he removed the breech plugs from the barrels he has rebored for me. Curious why he wouldn’t remove the ones in the barrels he did for you? Would sure make reboring difficult.

IMO, a machinist with the right drill and reamer could rebore the barrel almost down to the face of the breech plug but rifling the barrel would be impossible without removing the breech plug.

Usually, the cutter that forms the rifling is almost always pulled thru the barrel and with the breech plug in place, that can't be done.

I guess I may be wrong, but the three he has done for me showed no evidence of having been removed.

Back