• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken help wanted

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I have everything I need to get started except a clear workbench so I am going to take a week or two and get organized. I will start a new thread when I start the actual work.

True, but only after checking for any runout between the bore and the barrel’s exterior. Usually not a concern with the newer CNC produced barrels, but a real PIA if not taken into account with older barrels such as this one appears to be.
That's true I have a small caliber barrel from numrich that has pathetic runout...it was cheap for a reason.

I have measured and checked in every way possible and the bore looks perfectly centered from breach and muzzle. I heard someone mention that these don't have correct sights so after looking at a number of original photos, have decided I will order one of the" cast from original" from Dixie or Track of the Wolf. and make my own front before I touch the top.

You could sell all the barrel components (but not the tang) an would probably realize close to what a drop-in barre from Oregon outfit he linked above.

Sounds like you are up for the task, looking forward to the follow along on your progress.

Another thing; you have the old-style hammer on your lock, the new ones function much better and are available. I can't remember which online company bought out all of TCs parts but they have the new hammers available. It might be the Gun Works I listed above.

TC hammer new old.jpg

And still one more thing; touchhole alignment with your pan may be a problem; i bought two new factory TC flintlocks that both had the touch hole in the rear corner of the pan. If yours turns out to be this way don't cut the wedge pin dovetail until you see how the touch hole lines up with the pan. I didn't know how to fix this problem back when I bought these guns. After I got into building I realized I could have moved the barrel back a little to get better alignment.

Lately I built a Renegade out of random parts with an L&R RPL lock, the stock was a TC percussion stock. I had to move the barrel back 1/4" to get the sunset position on my touch hole. There was enough wiggle room in the wedge pin underlug if I filed a little on one end, I had to cut 1/4" off the under-rib to move the barrel back.

Last edited:
He doesn't know why the barrel in this one was never drilled or dovetailed but said his brother may have got it before he passed. After the brother passed he just put it away until a few weeks ago when my son purchased it.
He bought it off ebay, where sellers would sell the barrel separately from the stock and lock. Was common. I'd bet real money on that.

Just don't get in a hurry. You'll find it

Another thing; you have the old-style hammer on your lock, the new ones function much better and are available. I can't remember which online company bought out all of TCs parts but they have the new hammers available. It might be the Gun Works I listed above.

Your correct. Last time I contacted Smith and Wesson they said they sold the remaining T/C parts to The Gun Works.

Back