• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken Flintlock .45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 2 Hawkins from the same original owner years ago that were shot only a couple times.The Flint is a .50 and the .45 is a percussion.I wish the flint was the .45 if I had a choice just because it is alot more rare and I could use it in our primitive f/lock season in Pa.

I think it was two years ago I bought my TC Renegade from gunbroker, I paid $275 for it, and it was in very good condition. I don't know the shops out your way, guessing Princeton or Cambridge area. You aren't far from the NMLRA sponsored range in Harris, MN. I've never been to their muzzleloader match, but I may go this year. I don't know if anyone tries to sell there or not.

That said, the best deals for muzzleloaders are often found online. There is no FFL needed, you can ship them right to your door. TC's are found quite often for good deals. I think TC side locks and flintlocks are an incredible value. They are a very well put together, and solid gun. You are not far from Track of the Wolf, so powder shouldn't be that hard to get. Fair warning, they up charge you for convenience. I once ordered powder, listed on their website something like $20 a pound. When I showed up to pick up my order, they were charging me about $27 a pound. You can pay hazmat and have it shipped to you for less if you buy enough at a time.

One last thing, there were two generations of the TC flintlocks. Take it from someone who owned one with an early lock, and do yourself a favor, get the later style lock. Pictures can be seen here, the post with Zonie. Early TC locks bad? I was told this.

I think it was two years ago I bought my TC Renegade from gunbroker, I paid $275 for it, and it was in very good condition. I don't know the shops out your way, guessing Princeton or Cambridge area. You aren't far from the NMLRA sponsored range in Harris, MN. I've never been to their muzzleloader match, but I may go this year. I don't know if anyone tries to sell there or not.

That said, the best deals for muzzleloaders are often found online. There is no FFL needed, you can ship them right to your door. TC's are found quite often for good deals. I think TC side locks and flintlocks are an incredible value. They are a very well put together, and solid gun. You are not far from Track of the Wolf, so powder shouldn't be that hard to get. Fair warning, they up charge you for convenience. I once ordered powder, listed on their website something like $20 a pound. When I showed up to pick up my order, they were charging me about $27 a pound. You can pay hazmat and have it shipped to you for less if you buy enough at a time.

One last thing, there were two generations of the TC flintlocks. Take it from someone who owned one with an early lock, and do yourself a favor, get the later style lock. Pictures can be seen here, the post with Zonie. Early TC locks bad? I was told this.

I haven't been to the Harris muzzleloader match either, but it is something I've considered. Quite some time ago I was a member there for a year, thinking I would make use of their 1000 yard range. Very nice facility, but just didn't make as much use of my membership as I thought I would.

Sounds like you and I buy our powder at the same place.

I wasn't aware of the TC lock differences - that's an easy check to make, thanks.

Mornin' fellas, was reading this interesting thread this morning, retired so I can do such things now. Thought you might find it interesting to know that, just last night a TC Hawken .50 Flintock , advertised as " like new" on a well known gun auction site (don't know if I can mention name cause I'm a little new) just sold for $1,181 plus $ 45 shipping. Ain't that sometin' ?

Mornin' fellas, was reading this interesting thread this morning, retired so I can do such things now. Thought you might find it interesting to know that, just last night a TC Hawken .50 Flintock , advertised as " like new" on a well known gun auction site (don't know if I can mention name cause I'm a little new) just sold for $1,181 plus $ 45 shipping. Ain't that sometin' ?

I'm seeing the same thing with some bullet molds. It isn't like molds or muzzleloaders are in that much of a shortage right now. It seems I'm seeing just as much selection of each as I ever did. Now there is talk of guys buying used Lee 2 cavity molds for over $100 that were $22 shipped to your door a month ago!

It's almost like some people are completely oblivious to custom or semi-custom shops. You can have a completely custom bullet mold to your door for $100. You can also have a custom muzzleloader, at least in the white, if not finished for $1000-$1200.

I sold my very low serial number 45 flint Hawken on GB a month ago for $640. It was in darn nice shape for being 50 years old but it wasn't perfect. Just another data point for you.

PS I agree with Zonie on pricing.

The 1970s TC flint locks were absolute junk. They were redesigned later. For a time TC would trade you a new one for your old one. My first ML was a TC Hawken flintlock, ca 1975. The lock was extremely unreliable and ate flints. The frizzen has a thin case hardening and quit sparking very soon. IF you intend to shoot it, research this.

For a variety of reasons I put this on the back burner, biggest one being I'm allocating the funding in a different but still very firearms-related direction.

I appreciate all the responses, very helpful.

I did take another look at it the other day, and it appears to have the earlier hammer mentioned in the link. By itself this wasn't a deal breaker, just added to my decision.

A year ago next month I went to a small local gun show. Spotted a TC Hawken 45 cal flintlock on a dealer table. Sticker said $260 or make offer. Included a box full of everything needed to shoot it. Looked at it twice. Real nice condition inside and out. Both times I looked dealer dropped price $20. Stopped by on way out and he seen me coming. Handed me the rifle and said that he would be happy to take $200 for it. Never did make a offer but for $200 it went home with me.

I have 2 TC Hawkens, both 50's, 1 cap and one flint... The cap is factory original. The flint was an early kit I built in the 80's. The lock was manure in those early ones, as said before, unreliable spark and eating flints. Sent it to TC in the early 2000's and they rebuilt it with the redesigned hammer and frizzen, works very well now.
I would love to get a 45 flinter, and would pay more for 45 and more for flint but not that much. Maybe half that, depending on accessories with probably a bit more. If an early gun with old style lock would have to plan on a couple hundred to replace it with a L&R.

Back