• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will do. I just ordered a fast twist 28" .50 drop-in from Wolf.
I would have ordered the .54 as well, but they were out of stock.

Bobby Hoyt will also put in a liner if you want to stay with a .50 cal to match the barrel’s marking.

Will do. I just ordered a fast twist 28" .50 drop-in from Wolf.
I would have ordered the .54 as well, but they were out of stock.
I’ve got three fast twist 45 LRH barrels that are 1” across the flats and love them for shooting paper patched conicals weighing around 400 grains. Had a 50 fast twist LRH in a 15/16” barrel that loved conicals, but was a real thumper when you shot it. It has moved on.

Nah, I've already ordered the new .50 drop-in
I'll do the .54 rebore, unless I can find a new .54 drop-in in either 28 or 32.
Wolf was out of them.

If any of you guys run across a 15/16 .54 drop-in in either 28" or 32", please call it to my attention. Wolf is out.
Thanks

If any of you guys run across a 15/16 .54 drop-in in either 28" or 32", please call it to my attention. Wolf is out.
Thanks
Unfortunately they show in stock in one place and back ordered as you got closer to placing an order. Disappointing. I have a 32” 50 cal 1-66 twist 15/16” GM drop in barrel that is lights out accurate, although it started out as a patch cutter, but was easily corrected. Imagine the GM 54 caliber RB barrel will also be a shooter when you find one.

Yeah, I'm gonna pursue the rebore, but it would be a lot quicker if I can find a drop-in in either length.

Yeah, I'm gonna pursue the rebore, but it would be a lot quicker if I can find a drop-in in either length.
Hey, in your original post you stated this story started ‘about fifty years ago’, so don’t see where waiting a couple of weeks for a rebore would be a concern. Or did I miss something?
About fifty years ago, I bought a .50 Hawken

Track of the Wolf lists Green Mountain roundball drop-ins in both 50 and 54 cal percussion and list them as being in stock.

They also list the LRH fast twist in 50cal as being in stock.
I asked TOW about the .54 Green Mountain drop-in barrels, (1 inch across the flats) listed in their catalog.
They have been out of stock "for a couple years". GM no longer makes them.

Last edited:
I asked TOW about the .54 Green Mountain drop-in barrels, (1 inch across the flats) listed in their catalog.
They have been out of stock "for a couple years". GM no longer makes them.

I never said they had one inch barrels. The 54 they list is 15/16ths and will fit his Hawken stock.

Are you talking about the 15/16" .54 drop-in that is shown on the website as backorder?

GMT-54-C-TC-32-B T/C Drop-in Barrel Assembly, .54 caliber, 1-66" twist, 15/16" octagon, 32" length, blued, 5.2 lb, percussion, for Thompson Center Hawken Rifle..
Price: $269.00

Last edited:
Are you talking about the 15/16" .54 drop-in that is shown on the website as backorder?

GMT-54-C-TC-32-B T/C Drop-in Barrel Assembly, .54 caliber, 1-66" twist, 15/16" octagon, 32" length, blued, 5.2 lb, percussion, for Thompson Center Hawken Rifle..
Price: $269.00

Sadly that’s the one. It showed to be in stock when I posted about it.

It showed as being in stock earlier today, but when I went back to purchase it about 8 pm, it was on backorder. Sounds like it was in stock, then out stock, then in stock (when you looked), and then out of stock again. Wonder if the website is having problems?

Do we know it to be a TC?

I'm with Smif, I have had three rebored by Hoyt. Both economy and quality wise it's a good way to go.
According to the Track of the Wolf Catalog description, these barrels are made for the T/C Hawken rifle to replace the T/C barrel by Green Mountain. The 54 caliber barrel is 15/16" across the flats. As stated by others. T/C never made a 54 caliber barrel for the Hawken that measured 15/16" across the flats.

These are not barrels manufactured by Thompson Center. These barrels were manufactured by Green Mountain Barrel company to be interchangeable with the T/C 15/16" barrels. These replacement barrels are probably much better than an original T/C barrel.

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/648/1/GMT-54-C-TC-32-B

So, all this talk about GM replacement barrels has me wondering if it's possible to have several barrels for a single stock and just swap barrels as desired.Kind of like I can do with my Contender?

So, all this talk about GM replacement barrels has me wondering if it's possible to have several barrels for a single stock and just swap barrels as desired.Kind of like I can do with my Contender?

I do it all the time. I have two now but had three at one time.

Back