• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

T/C Hawken barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GM no longer installs those springs on their barrels, and mine doesn't have one, so I didn't know if the springs are subject to shifting after installation.

Barrel came with steel ramrod ferrules mounted. I reused those screws when I switched to the brass ferrules.

Yes, I know. For the original, a flush mount. For the GM, a deeply recessed screw and no spring. John at TOW says GM no longer uses the springs. Sounds like I can make one fit though.

Well, I am a Professional Engineer by occupation, but I doubt that will affect anything either way :)
Only thing that bothers me is the security of screwing a spring down on top of a large hole with a small screw that isn't supported on the sides. That sometimes doesn't work well for me. I guess I could drop a small bushing in the hole.

John at TOW told me today that GM no longer uses these springs and that my ramrod should stay in place without it. Mine doesn't.
Oh well, ce sera, sera.

Last edited:
Pretty easy to make a spring out of a hack saw blade. Get it hot and anneal it then bend and reharden. Put it in a cup of oil, Light it and let it burn out. Should be springy enough to do the job.

I just ordered a couple of ramrod springs and screws for the stock T/C barrel to put on my two new GM barrels. Worst case, I can always drop a small bushing into the screw well to take up the slack. May not even need to do that.

Glad you were able to get a good barrel, or barrels I should say.
I'm going to guess that the rifle's storage and the length of time since you spoke to the "friend" are pretty similar.

No, that was fiftyish years ago. He died just last year. He was a good person with some failings, and I don't hold grudges.

GM .54 15/16" 32" barrel arrived today. Gold bead front sight and plain notch elevation adjustable on the rear. I like these sights better than the fiber optic sights they put on the .50 barrel. Still plan to get my old .50 rebored to .54.

No, that was fiftyish years ago. He died just last year. He was a good person with some failings, and I don't hold grudges.
“He was a good person with some failings“
I’d be more than satisfied if the living were to put that on my tombstone.

If Bobby Hoyt does that work, you should be very happy with it. The rifling was initially pretty sharp at the corners of the lands and would cut patches (the .58 is still sharp) a few strokes with very fine Carborundum on a snug cleaning patch followed by a few more with a rosin impregnated patch and patch cutting is a thing of the past.

Last edited:
If Bobby Hoyt does that work, you should be very happy with it. The rifling was initially pretty sharp at the corners of the lands and would cut patches (the .58 is still sharp) a few strokes with very fine Carborundum on a snug cleaning patch followed by a few more with a rosin impregnated patch and patch cutting is a thing of the past.
I do similar with all roundball barrels, Bobby’s and even Rice’s. Have multiples of each and zero complaints.

Hi Jim. Have you had a chance to weigh your Hawken with the new GM .54 barrel installed ? I’m thinking around 8 pounds which is as heavy as I’d consider toting around at my age and on my hunting grounds. I’m considering that GM .54 barrel. Thanks.

Bobby Hoyt is your man to go to! He rebored a barrel for me (50 to 54) and it's a shooter. He won't bore out a barrel that will either be unsafe or inaccurate when it's finished. It's worth the shipping cost to find out.

William G, I haven't installed it yet (waiting on a ramrod detent spring to arrive).
I'm curious too, though I'm not old enough for the weight to bother me (I'm only 77). I'll buy a scale today and weigh it.

Back