• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken barrel conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you talking about the 15/16" .54 drop-in that is shown on the website as backorder?

GMT-54-C-TC-32-B T/C Drop-in Barrel Assembly, .54 caliber, 1-66" twist, 15/16" octagon, 32" length, blued, 5.2 lb, percussion, for Thompson Center Hawken Rifle..
Price: $269.00
Nope.
The 1 inch. *GMT-54-DTC-B* (on page 205 of the catalog.) It is shown as "in stock" with a price of $219.

My .54 from the factory Hawken has a 1 inch barrel. I cannot use a 15/16 inch.

It appears they have not updated the online catalog, for at least 4 or 5 years.
Who knows what all has been added and discontinued since it was first put up?

"Nope.
The 1 inch. *GMT-54-DTC-B* (on page 205 of the catalog.) It is shown as "in stock" with a price of $219."

OK, but the 1 inch won't fit my Hawken, so isn't of interest to me.

I bet that 32 gives ya a workout. I had a 36 on a Renegade & about had to put wheels under the front to haul it around.
I used the .32 barrel for line shoots mostly and won several 1st place awards with it. I currently have the barrel for sale in this forums classifieds, as I don't shoot line shoots anymore, and never much liked shooting from the bench.

Replacement .50 drop-in barrel arrived today. Well made. The edges of the flats are sharper than the original, the sights are fiber optic rather than replica (more effective, but less authentic), and the barrel lacks provision for the ramrod retention spring of the original, so you have to keep the barrel pointed up to keep the ramrod from falling out.(I'll think of a substitute retention mechanism).

All in all, I am pleased with it.

Replacement .50 drop-in barrel arrived today. Well made. The edges of the flats are sharper than the original, the sights are fiber optic rather than replica (more effective, but less authentic), and the barrel lacks provision for the ramrod retention spring of the original, so you have to keep the barrel pointed up to keep the ramrod from falling out.(I'll think of a substitute retention mechanism).

Ramrod retention spring came with all the drop GM barrels I have, but maybe not included any more. You could use the screw (6-48) and spring from your original TC barrel. TOW and other suppliers do carry replacement screw and spring.

"You could use the screw (6-48) and spring from your original TC barrel".

No, you can't. The new under barrel rail is structured differently and will not accept the original spring and screw - it doesn't fit.

In the past, I have used a flat leather thong tied to one of the ram rod ferrules. It provides enough tension to hold the ram rod in place.

Seems odd that there is no retention of the ramrod. Were all Green Mountain barrels made that way? How did people deal with what would appear to be a significant oversight?

It's my understanding from responses on this thread, that other GM barrels do have retention.

In the past, I have used a flat leather thong tied to one of the ram rod ferrules. It provides enough tension to hold the ram rod in place.

Yes, that works. You can also draw the ramrod into a bowed shape while holding over the heat of a stovetop. The bend will help retain it in the thimbles.

File a flat on the underrib at the rear screw hole long enough to accomadate the retention spring. Would take about five minutes with a good file. Then touch-up with a bit of cold blue.

"You could use the screw (6-48) and spring from your original TC barrel".

No, you can't. The new under barrel rail is structured differently and will not accept the original spring and screw - it doesn't fit.
The TC screw and spring didn’t fit.... interesting. Things must have changed??? TOW sells the same TC screw and spring for both TC and GM barrels.
upload_2020-1-29_16-26-15.jpeg

And I know they are interchangeable, at least on the TC and GM barrels I have. Below is a photo of a TC spring screw on the left and a GM screw on the right, along with a ramrod spring on top. The heads are a bit different and they are slightly different in length, but they are interchangeable on the barrels and with the springs I have seen.
upload_2020-1-29_16-27-59.jpeg

Based on the distortion in the spring hole, I'd guess that spring has been mounted on a GM and then torqued down into the larger screw recess in the GM rail. Is that correct? How stable is the spring?

As an aside, the .54 32" 15/16" drop in barrels are available again, and I just purchased one by phone.

Based on the distortion in the spring hole, I'd guess that spring has been mounted on a GM and then torqued down into the larger screw recess in the GM rail. Is that correct? How stable is the spring?
That spring is one I removed from a new GM barrel as installed at the factory. The difference as I remember as far as what you are calling the ‘screw recess’ in the rib, is that TC put a countersink in the threaded hole while GM put a counterbore in theirs. Both use a similar if not identical spring. Not sure what you mean by the spring being stable. Have four GM barrels purchased new by me and a few more purchased used, all with the same setup.

Latest posts

Back